Mnozil Brass concert report

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The Mnozil Brass group performed at the UCLA campus last night. As billed, the show was a tour-de-force in musicology and entertainment. Imagine the energy of the Spike Jones band, the humor or Victor Borge, and the parody of Wierd Al Yankovich - all done in mime (no words were spoken during the performance).

As just one example, one act has a trombone player being carried around the stage by two other trombone players and two trumpet players - all the while playing beautifully - with the one being carried using his feet to play move the slides on the two trombones and his hands to move the valves on the two trumpets (as the other players provided the air). It was so incredible that it was hard to believe even when seeing it in person.

Then, after 3 standing ovations and encores, they finally had to convince the audience they were done by playing a lullaby and one-by-one placing their instruments on the floor at the front of the stage, covering them with a coat, tickling and then kissing them good night (one even gave the horn a "drink" from a bottle mute) and then carefully tip-toeing off the stage. Only then did we reluctantly leave.

It was an incredible performance to a packed house. If you plan to see them in one of their other performances, be sure to buy tickets early. Some were turned away here. It was showmanship at its best.:thumbsup:

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    They will be playing 20 minutes from my house at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio this Sat. @ 7:30pm. The concert is FREE !!!!!!

3. Mr. Stomvi

Nov 14, 2003
    a

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I just saw them last weekend at NTC -- probably the same show you saw in California. It was an incredible show. Definitely a do-not-miss if they come to your area.

5. stevek

stevek New Friend

Jan 11, 2008
    MPLS MN
    This Sunday 3/21/2010 at 3pm at the Northeastern Illinois University 421 seat theater.

We are driving down from Mpls to see the show.

6. cuttlefishii

cuttlefishii New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    DANGIT I wish I had known about this earlier!!! >_<

So I have a little over a day to write and execute a persuasive speech to convince my mom to drive me 3 hours each way to and from the concert. On her birthday.
    What important points should I hit?

7. Mr. Stomvi

Nov 14, 2003
    That you promise to take out the trash and that you will eat all your broccoli and spinach from now on ???

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. stevek

stevek New Friend

Jan 11, 2008
    MPLS MN
  9. gasp1974

gasp1974 Piano User

Jan 27, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    It would be the best birthday present ever!!! :play::thumbsup:

10. cuttlefishii

cuttlefishii New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    Yeah, I tried that reasoning along with a bunch of other methods/persuasions. And she stubbornly refused it all. :-( Which breaks my heart... it would have been so amazing to see them live. *sigh*

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010