Mnozil Brass...GREATEST EVER!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetjens, Jun 10, 2008.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I like the way they sing. Well actually I like the way they played Bohemian Rasphody.

2. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I saw them for a second time, this time in London in the Royal Festival hall where they were one of a few acts/groups and they stole the show!

The main act was meant to be some singer called "Haley Westenra"...? Anyway, there were obviously a few of her fans there because the odd person have her a standing ovation after what felt like an 8 song marathon, all very very similar, but the whole room stood and cheered for Mnozil!

They did some pieces from their new show, Magic Moments, and by the sounds of the performance, and being lucky enough to meet them all afterwards :), it sounds like the DVD will be a must buy when it comes out!

3. firkin

firkin New Friend

Nov 29, 2009
    Living in Europe over the past few years, I've had the opportunity to hear them several times, and would echo the sentiments of many other posters as to the quality, musicianship, and entertainment value they present at all their concerts.

I recently attended a concert this past September in a small Austrian town, and spoke with them. They are trying to arrange a US trip for this coming spring. They didn't have details yet, and I think some of the dates weren't yet firm, but they said for sure they will be in Chicago in the latter half of March. Their website gives a few dates extending beyond this timeframe, but has a gap where this trip would fall. For those in the Midwest that haven't had the opportunity to hear them live, this should be a golden opportunity.

Now I am back in the states, and will be making this trip once they post the details on their website. Hopefully we collectively will be able to assemble a large enough crowd that the US becomes an annual stop for them.

4. mike_c_lee

mike_c_lee New Friend

Jan 26, 2010
    I am going to see them in Chicago on 3/21/10! I can't wait! I've seen the YouTube clips and had the chance to listen to some of their CD's. I am a long-time Canadian Brass fan and these guys are starting to really grow on me!

5. trumpetjens

trumpetjens Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2005
    Not only will they grow on you, they WILL convert you to new possibilities of how brass can be played and presented to a large based audience without excluding brass aficionados like all of us. I have said it many times, anyone who thinks they know what Mnozil is about based on their numerous youtube clips (tell me another brass group that has almost a million hits for one tune...Bohemian Rhapsody) does not get it. One needs to see and feel the entire flow of their show, when they do certain things, how they do them, etc.

It is as ingenious as the Canadian Brass was when they started on the scene forty years ago. Mnozil's time is now!

Jens Lindemann
    Jens Lindemann's Web Quarters

6. trumpetjens

Mar 14, 2005
    This thread is just about to get resurrected. Mnozil is doing their first ever U.S. tour and the buzz has already been coming from the east coast. They arrive in Los Angeles today at noon, straight to the hotel and then Santa Monica pier and the beach where we will chill out all day...that would be chilling out in 75 degree sunny weather...don't hate! Mexican dinner and then off to:

2nd Street Jazz
    366 2nd st, LA
    Sunday @ 8pm

Where they will listen to a killer trombone quartet with rhythm section...not trumpet talk I know but let's just think of this as TH twitter on Mnozil activities while in LA.

Tomorrow, Monday night at UCLA's Schoenberg Hall at 8pm is when they blow the doors off of this city. There are still some tickets but not many so this is a last second push for any of you who not yet have heard that they will be in California.

This group is revolutionizing the concept of 'brass chamber music' (that term sounds stuffy just by saying it). Thankfully, they have begun by obliterating the old school concept of playing in the shoebox, string quartet style set-up where two trumpet players start by firing weapons at each other. That's a topic for another day...

Today is just teenage-type excitement that my good friends and heros are coming from Europe to re-set the high bar in yet another town...

Concert update coming...

Jens Lindemann

7. trumpetjens

Mar 14, 2005
    OOPS...I meant 'TM twitter'...respect for the two discussion groups although most of you know that when I post, I do so simultaneously ;)

Jens Lindemann

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Two questions....
    Can you save me 4 good seats? (I'm fighting traffic from SD area to get there) :-)
    How do you pronounce Mnozil?
    :-)

9. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Just saw them at the NTC two days ago, all I can say is holy crap. These guys play better on their horns while running in place than some do standing still. A ridiculous display of musicianship and entertainment. Hands down the best brass group I have seen.

TD

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Mendez:

1) No. I can't make it down from Northern California, but I'll get to hear the Natural Gas Jazz Band instead.
    2) Pronounce it "NOTE-sill".

One of the few times I envy you SoCal types.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010