Mnozil? No! Listen!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Nov 29, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I don't like the conductor's German: he sounds like a foreigner!

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Actually, he's Scottish. He once said that he remained so short because, as a child, he was fed exclusively on condensed milk and shortbread...

4. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I detected Scottish in his German. Sounds awful, even worse than real German!

5. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK
    Mozilla Brass are great entertainers. I've been watching them on YouTube for several years and I would love to see them live.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Brass collapse?" Blech can refer to sheet metal, and schaden damage. Blechshaden is usually used to describe the damages to bodywork in a minor automobile accident. "Brass damage" would keep the pun alive.

7. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    They are obviously great musicians, but I find them crude and all the silly panto unnecessary. I prefer these Blechschaden guys because the focus is on the music, and not on trying to conceive a show even more outrageous than the last one.

I'm not a Mnozil fan, as you might have guessed.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I can understand where you're coming from, RA, but there's a big audience out there that prefers a bit of a laugh to pomp and circumstance.

Reminds me of our old music hall tradition, and I like it. Virtuosity doesn't require a starched collar and dickie bow.

9. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Let them have their laughs. I'm not denying them, nor do I wish to deny them, their pleasure. It isn't to my taste at all though.

I don't mind a bit of fun - no seriously, I don't - such as a number with a gimmick in it, like the 'Mr Sandman' routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4EE2B1iUyE

But with Mnozil, it's dicking about all the time in every number.

I'm off to starch me dickie.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Not every number. e.g. You've Got A Friend, for one... and often the "dicking about" is part of the story, such as when they're trying to deal with the Dragon or whatever it was.

I remember there was a lively thread called "Chris Botti is awful" or something like that, and this reminds me a little of that one.

--bumblebee