Mnozil? No! Listen!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Nov 29, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Not the same at all. In both cases it's a solid musical routine. OK, so they are wearing bright costumes. The YMCA number has a bit if dicking about at the start, then they sit down and play the number straight. No problem with that. Had that been Mnozil there would have been dancing, dicking about and irrelevant panto throughout. Pink Panther - the guy is wearing pink - that's the only gag, and again it's a straight musical number. I know which one I'd rather listen to!

3. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Story? Good grief! It's tacky panto!!!

Dragon? A couple of them look as though they spend most of their free time chasing one, especially Tommy!

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I personally love watching the clips of Mnozil but whether I could sit through a full gig of their antics I'm not sure

bumblebee likes this.
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If you don't like Mnozil, just shut your eyes and listen to them. Their playing is world class. Full of life and energy. Blechschaden just sounds like a stuffy rigid brass band playing pop music.

6. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I don't doubt their playing ability at all. I just don't like the way they choose to use it. And even with my eyes closed, I know they are doing weird stuff (chewing heads off live bats or whatever) and talking Eartha Kitt, so it doesn't really help. Mnozzy Osbourne. :lol:

I agree, and that's one reason I avoid playing in brass bands these days, but I still prefer them to Mnozzy. Just my preference.

7. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Wind instruments are no longer a part of pop culture. That happened sometime in the 80s, though it started several years before. That is fine with me since I have always despised pop culture. I imagine many of you here think the same way as I concerning pop culture. However, we do not represent the majority of people who buy albums and concert tickets.

Now there is a very small market for wind instrument music outside of schools and community bands, but that is a small market. Without the Internet it would be even smaller than it is. If you want to be a pro wind instrument musician, you either have to tap into that highly competitive, highly territorial, and very small market; or you have to find a way to market to the "low information" pop culture audience.

So how do you get people to buy tickets and albums that otherwise have no interest in what you are doing? By being ENTERTAINING. While you can captivate me with excellent musicianship and virtuoso level playing, a low information pop culture audience needs to be entertained. Comedy is a very effective way to entertain everyone.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    But there is a difference between comedy and awkward soddish tacky panto.

9. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Perhaps, but that is irrelevant. They simply cannot make a living nowadays appealing to people like you and me. I am willing to put up with the foolishness because their playing is incredible. Most people will put up with the playing because the foolishness is entertaining. The world rejected high brow sensibilities long ago.......

10. geebee

geebee New Friend

Aug 21, 2013
    SW Missouri
    I recently saw Mnozil Brass in Fayeteville AR. I dragged my wife and three kids along, expecting the kids to be bored stiff after the first ten minutes. I have a 13yo son who plays saxaphone, an 11yo daughter who plays clarinet and another 11yo daughter who plays trumpet. They laughed all the way through the show, and then spent the 60 mile trip home talking about their favorite bits. Sophie the trumpeter declared she wanted to join them when she finishes school.
    If these guys can entertain the kids like that and play as well as they do, then I say good job done. These kids now know that it can be cool to play an instrument and just maybe they will stay with it, unlike their dad who gave it up until this year when I'm probably too old to ever get as good as I could have been. Also, they weren't the only young people there. I would estimate that 50% of the audience were under 30.
    Both these groups entertain in their own style, and that's what live music should be about.