Mnozil? No! Listen!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    That may be your point of view. I find that Mnozil is quite talented. I got to hear them live in October as well- SO INCREDIBLE...

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    :-P

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have to say this sort of thread slightly annoys me. Firstly because it has turned away from Barliman's interesting original comparison into somehting else. Secondly because rankamateur is being a little berated for expressing an opinion. I can see exactly where RA is coming from, his opinion might not be popular but he is entilted to it just as those who think that the brass sun shines out of Mnozil's rear end are entitled to their feeling but I have to quote Die Fledermaus "Chacon A Son Gout." (think that's spelt right)

I personally see Mnozil as a hugely talented variety, almost novelty type act that would be great in the old Paladium shows, in Panto or perhaps even on Paul Daniels when he used to feature non magic acts on his show. (Generation game, the final bit maybe)

It is things like this that leave me a little cold.

Florentiner march - MNOZIL BRASS - YouTube

The Florentiner, great march, one of my favourites, I love the way they blend in Zorba the Greek, brilliant funny and works well. The out of tune notes that they blame on each other brilliant. I like the idea of the trombone wars, great fun but fourteen minutes most of which is a show of trombone madness which goes nowhere just doesn't cut it for me. Yes incredible talent, yes incredible playing, yes incredible showmanship but by the end I just want it to shut up and get back to the tune which they finish better than most groups Whether much of that work is music I'm not sure.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Now I'm the opposite. I love Mnozil, but hate your video clip. In fact I hate all gimmick numbers by Brass Bands. I didn't even like Cory winning Brass in Concert with the inclusion of a rendition of Over the Rainbow with a guy SINGING! What next an advert in Bandsman saying, "Singer Required. Ability to play cornet an advantage". :-o

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm rather with you on this one Rapier, Brass Band novelty numbers often look forced and when done by, shall we say, lesser bands, the sound usually suffers quite badly. But I will stand by my feeling that although technique doesn't suffer with Mnozil and the sound is always right I do think the music sometimes suffers.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    And some audience members I gather. :evil: (never used that "smiley" before now!)

--bumblebee

7. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Like has been said before, their target audience is normal people. There just aren't enough high brow audience members, and catering to such people means small audiences and poverty for most pro players.