Mo Blues Please.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Dec 1, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I came across a CD in the jazz section called "The Alternate Blues" recently and bought it. Dizzy, Clark and Freddie Hubbard swapping solos on traditional blues progressions. It's a great recording ... This is so inspiring to me I'd love to hear more.

Can anyone recommend other recordings like this one .... especially if Dizzy is on it?

The Turtle

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    If you don't mind learning from other instruments, try Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus. His solos, especially on Blue Seven are individual works of art. There are no "gymnastics", just well constructed improv where he'll start with a simple motiv from the tune, build on it, twist it, etc. no different than what you'd expect in classical music. Blue Seven was a major inspiration to me in that regard.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    TJ -
    I bought The Alternate Blues after reading The World of Jazz Trumpet: A Comprehensive History and Practical Philosophy by Scotty Barnhart. Scotty (a fine player himself) has a great list of recordings in the back of his book that he recommends to anyone serious about playing jazz trumpet, and that CD came from his list.

A good book, worth the read, and a great resource too.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for the help, guys. These jazz trumpeters sound like they played the blues every day ... they sound like blues men yet this is the first (and still the only) recording like this I've ever heard.

I grew up on R&B and I'm sure there was some trumpet soloing in there, somewhere or other, but I can't think of which bands. A few of my old pop/rock/latin recordings have trumpet soloing, but not much. Seems like a perfect instrument for blues (especially) ... yet there doesn't seem to be much of it.:dontknow:

The Turtle

5. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas