Mo' Blues?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I managed to catch bits and pieces of a movie last night... believe it was called "Mo' Blues"... the story of a trumpet player, his friends, the seedy underbelly of life in NYC, etc.

Any idea who actually played the trumpet for that piece was? Whoever, he (she?) had a wonderfully "bluesey" approach. I'm about to do a 'net search and see what I can find but if anyone has "quick and ready" info I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Edit: Ahhh, the title is "Mo Better Blues" with Wesley Snipes and Denzel Washington... by Spike Lee. Now... who the heck actually PLAYED the trumpet for the sound track?

Edit #2: Hmm... and Branford Marsalis did the music... but WHO was the trumpet player?

Edit #3: AHA! (gosh I scare myself sometimes). Terence Blanchard!

2. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Branford Marsalis did the music. Terence Blanchard actually coached Denzel Washington on the actual trumpet fingerings and perform the tunes for the soundtrack. So if you watch Denzel's fingers during the movie....he's actually fingering all the correct notes. (except for the fast passages!!!) Mo' Better Blues is the name of the movie!

Cory

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks Cory. Yes, I did notice that Washington was "air playing" very realistically. I thought he actually MIGHT be playing until that last bit just before he got his chops busted in... then I knew there was a "SOMEBODY" actually doing the track. I only caught a few minutes "here and there" but it did make an impression!

Ed

4. fatcat

fatcat New Friend

Jun 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I enjoyed that movie.

I rented it a while ago on a whim, and I thought it ended up being pretty good.