Moaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    On the way home from work tonight, my car started backfiring and making allsorts of bizarre noises. For some unknown reason when the rev counter hits 2000 revs it the power disappears! Understandably i felt bloomin pissed off! In a bid to calm my fury, i tuned into Classic FM (British Classical music radio station). Sadly this just infuriated this me even more; I listened to a fantastic professional violinist playing Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto desacrating the music with sniffs, snorts, and bubbling bogeys to articulate rests, and phrasing. I hate this, but yet in all many string players think that it is the secret to being able to phase like a singer or wind player. I can see their point to a certain extent, but great singers/instrumentalists go out of there way to hide their chesty, nasal noises.

The question
    What musical/performing habits get on your nerves?

Here is some of mine;
    Conductors that shout beat numbers in your face out of time!
    Conductors that start in one tempo and shout at you for not doing it at another.
    Conductors who cant place a beat.
    Deputy violinists that don't give you time to tune to the oboe.
    Pianists that hum while they play.
    Pretentious pop musicians like U2's Bono, or the Beatles, that think that they have revolutionised music.

If you have had a pants week like mine, here is you opportunity for some therapy. Do a Ron Jeremy, just let it all out!

2. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I conduct and I hope I dont do that stuff.

Mine:
    Kids who think they are entitled to all the rewards of hard work without actually having to do anything.
    Adults who live in their own world and dont want to make anything better for the people around them

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I hate when the vocal intro (singer) starts in a wrong key from what is written, then all of us have to miraculously transpose on the fly to save face, then gradually shift to the key it is written.

I hate when the band director hands you a printed set list, you pull and organize your charts in order,yourself, to the set list, on your stand, then while performing, Joe Director begins a song on the fly that's not on the list! Everybody shuffles for that chart filed somewhere under their seat in haste to grasp a chart for a song not on the list.

I hate amateur sound technicians that get a charge out of cranking the master volume up to watch us throw our headphones off.

I hate small musicians with large egos.

I hate when band mates bring their three year old children to rehearsal. I smile at them and I'm nice, but I look at them as enemy one, as far as protecting my horns from them grabbing or damaging them.

I hate having to say, "Awwww, Precious!" after the three year old sang his rendition of bah bah black sheep into the microphone for the 59th time this year. I wish I could just go off like Simon Cowell.

I hate house mikes and choir mikes.

I hate when people show up late, then spend twenty minutes yaking before we finally get to rehearse! This eventually causes more to show up even later.

I hate perfume, parfum, cologne, lotion, hairspray, and everything else that smells "pretty"!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I hate people that don't practice, and complain when they suck.

I hate when stage moniters don't work....(As in last night's performance of West Side Story)

I hate haters.

5. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    I :shock:love you, man!

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I get annoyed with amatuer percussionists who don't comprehend "p".

(I don't hate anyone - that just wastes energy on those who don't deserve ANY of my emotion). :thumbdown:

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Actually i hate percussionists as well!

Bloomin percussionists within the Amateur scene have the arrogance to turn up for only the penultimate rehearsal, and bugger up the concert. What is worse is they quite often expect to get paid for it. Sadly trombone players (scarce in my area) fall into this category as well.

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I also hate people who hate people!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Violists that turn and give dirty looks because they think we are playing "too loudly." I've been known too, uhh, well, be a bit over-enthusiastic, with dynamics that go from a whispered piano to a "make 'em jump in their seats" forte in rehearsal. :evil:

10. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009

Look, many have grown up w/o the comedy of George Carlin, AND when I say I hate, I really mean dislike.

I know today, hate is a word that is politically incorrect.

I hate gum stuck on the bottom of my shoe when I'm trying to keep time.

See, it's a joke.......