Mock Auditions

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by stukvalve, Nov 5, 2004.

1. stukvalve

stukvalve New Friend

Oct 29, 2004
    Hello all!

I wanted to ask everyone here what they think would help make mock auditions more like the real thing. The trumpet studio here is planning on having a mock audition soon, and I would like to organize it so we learn as much as we can, and get it is as close to the real thing as possible. There will be about 15 people playing or so.... Thanks in advance! :)

-Max Matzen-

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    After holding the audition, announce that no one won 8)

Wilmer.............the WiseGuy :lol:

3. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Good one, Wilmer! :lol:

Get a screen. Announce candidates by number. Have a "panel" of at least 3 people listening if possible and have them vote on candidates, (maybe 2 out of 3 gets you into the next round, and then in the finals, you need a unanimous vote to win). Have them draw lots for an order. Have prelims, finals, etc.

Just do it like the real thing, you know? This is great practice.

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    hot cold

Towards the final rounds... turn the heat UP or DOWN (temps)... :D
    Just before you actually bring them into the hall / room to play... make them wait outside the door 5 minutes to make sure they are no longer warmed-up. :D

The last one happened to me on my last audition. I went in cold and missed a high G (A picc) on the first Bach excerpt and one of the judges whistled the G a few seconds afterwards.... that hurt! :oops: I was demoralized for a few ... :D

On a more serious note: you may want to contact whoever organized the last ITG Mock Audition and get some pointers from them. :D

5. vivace

vivace New Friend

Nov 2, 2004
    BYU, Provo, Utah
    hmm.. black screen to hide the judges. Have a non trumpet player as the proxy assitant guy.

Have a warm up room with everyone in there together

What pieces are on the audition?

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    have them play the post horn solo last. :twisted:

7. stukvalve

stukvalve New Friend

Oct 29, 2004
    In most auditions, is it more standard to screen the panel, or screen the auditioner? We are going to make it a "3rd Trumpet" kind of audition, with some tricky third trumpet stuff and a few standard 1st trumpet solos. Suggestions are more than welcome for exerpts to choose! Thanks... :D
    -Max Matzen-

8. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Hmmm.... tricky stuff...

3rd trumpet on Britten's 4 Sea Interludes
    2nd Eb on Heldenleben
    3rd trumpet on Rapsodie Espagnole

there are so many fun ones to choose from...

Enjoy!

- Josh

P.S. - Sight-reading? 3rd part to Don Quixote (from the "if you don't know it already, you're toast" book).

9. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Till Eulenspiegel has a commonly asked 3rd part excerpt as well. It's the big loud section near the end with all the running eighth notes. Don Q. has tons of great 3rd passages.

10. vivace

vivace New Friend

Nov 2, 2004
    BYU, Provo, Utah
    Lenore should be standard though whatever chair it is.