Mod a TR-300?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpEd, Oct 27, 2008.

1. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
  2. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Really? I think the TR300 in a more than decent instrument, besides the slow clanky valves, the slow third slide, and the super thick lacquer. If you can have the valve and work done and strip the lacquer for either silver plate or raw, there is a very good instrument for about half the price of a Strad. Though I'm not sure about messing with the braces.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    I'll be in Madison next summer for a gig and then hang around for DCI finals. Harrelson's is on my 'to do list' no matter what!

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

The TR-300 is a solid student horn, but I wouldn't invest any money into modding it, it would cost you more than it's possible worth, I think I sold one in very sgood shape for $250. Keep it around, you've got nothing to lose, but you may want to do it yourself or get another one cheap to screw around with.

5. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Yeah i had one years ago,
    way cool student horn.
    I ended up blowing that one apart!
    Bright and clear tone, after three years i blew it up!
    Save your money.

Take the up-grade you earned it.

6. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    If I have the budget of $250 then I'd go for an used horn. At this price range I'm sure you can get better deal then the current one. If you can sell yours first then you'll have better idea what you can buy with $250. Hurry up, Christmas is coming :D

I just sold my olds ambassador and get an abused Besosn 609 for $40 and another $30 to get the dents out and pull the stucked slides out by a professional. It's a pleasure to do a little work like cleaning but certainly not the big jobs. ROFL

My 2 cents.
    Oldsben

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If it is doing nothing, it needs to be attached to a human. Why don't you clean it up and get the valves working OK, and give it to some youngster/family who can't afford to buy a horn. It might plant a seed for a future trumpet star.

Wouldn't cost much and it's a totally feel-good act. 3 horns have left my collection that way and I feel grrrrrrreat!
    veery (aka tony the tiger)