modeling my playing after specific people

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    A teacher once suggested i find a professional trumpet player to sort of "model" my playing after. He specifically suggested Hakan Hardenberger.

Any other suggestions for such people? The same question for jazz as well, in fact even more specifically jazz.

Thanks.

2. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan New Friend

Apr 13, 2006
    Texas
    Hi there,

That question really can only be answered by you.

Ask yourself, "What do I like?"

You will find over time that you will absorb many influences to help form your personal sound.

Many people make suggestions based on what THEY like. These are very helpful, but be wary of teachers that base YOUR competence on what THEY like.

Overall, your opinion matters most.

Get out there and explore different trumpet artists on the internet and through recordings. Find them on your own because it makes the surprise sweeter IMO. Libraries and the internet are great for this exploration.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Dan

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Sometimes you will learn more by modeling some local player, rather than someone famous. The local player.... you can see perform in person more often, hang with them and perhaps even study with them. After a while you will be wondering why they aren't famous.

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Modeling is a good way to learn, it begins the process of programming your brain to recognize what a good sound is, what a trumpet should sound like. Hardenberger would be great, Maurice Andre, Wynton Marsalis, any great classical player you like. Bud Herseth. Phil Smith. Manny. You won't be able to really in the end sound like any of them, and your "mistakes" will become your own sound.

Jazz is the same. You want to get a grasp on the language, what makes it sound like jazz, but then you also want to put your own spin on it. As a teacher I believe in modeling, I play all the time during lessons and classes, to demonstrate. I know some teachers do and some don't, but I'm definitely both feet in the play-all-the-time camp.

Michael Mclaughlin

Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.
    Mark Twain

5. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I think you should listen to as many different players as possible and emulate them all. This really shouldn't be something that you plan or are told to do. If you truly love music, you'll seek it in every available form all the time.
    That's one of the things I love most about music-that I can continue to grow every day.

Eb