Modern Trumpet Music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jul 26, 2008.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I have recently started falling in love with modern trumpet sonatas. First with the Hindemith and then later with the Antheil and the clips of the Scelsi I have dug up.

Is there any of this music htat comes highly suggested?

I am preparing the Hindemith at the moment (the more history I uncover about this piece the better it gets). I looked into the Ewazen sonata and other pieces as well as the Antheil, but both are pretyt hard to find and the Ewazen stuff is fairly expensive and my pocket isnt to big at the moment.

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    The International Trumpet Guild commissions modern works every year. Check out the web site.

3. JimmyThird

JimmyThird Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2007
    Chicago
  4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    There's a lot of good 20th Century music out there. Pick up Wynton's CD, "On the Twentieth Century".

As for what I would recommend? I very recently picked up the Steven's Sonata. Also, if you can find the James Thompson recording of the sonata, I would pick that up as well. Beautiful Piece.

5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Sorry... I have a small wallet at the moment. I was just saying if you offered a pdf option I would be more likely to buy it. No offence meant what so ever. I really do love your music.

EDIT: I think my response didn't register with the system. I will post it again later.

6. bairdstudio

bairdstudio New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    One name is needed in the realm of new modern trumpet music.

Eric Ewazen

Anything.. And I do mean absolutely anything that man has written including trumpet is absolutely pure gold and a pleasure to play and hear.

7. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Take a look through Ed Carrolls forum here on the TM. You will find a lot of disussion regarding modern works!

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Thank you, I will check it out. I usually dont go into those forums for some reason... I should start. What i've read from them has been great help

9. Joe N.

Joe N. New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    check out Vizzutti's Cascades

10. ckallmyer

ckallmyer New Friend

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey note 360,

There is a lot of great modern music to be found if you are interested in the Scelsi(thats one of my favorites). I would tend to check out some CD's by Hakan Hardenberger(his new disc "Wreckage" is great), Reinhold Fredrich, and Thomas Stevens. Get it in your ear! And definitely stop by Ed Carroll's forum.

Here are some of my favorite pieces from the last 50 years:
    Toru Takemitsu "Paths"
    Wilhelm Killmayer "Tre Pezzi"
    lately, I've really wanted to start working on Jolivet's Concertino or Concerto No. 2
    Berio "Sequenza X"
    Davies "Sonata"
    Scelsi "Quattro Pezzi"
    Antheil Sonata

No offense to Mr. Ewazen or the ITG, but I think your time is better spent elsewhere:
    Get to know some composers. The best contemporary music I've played is from friends---and its the most fun to work on. Because unlike most classical music, it is derivative of the time and place in which you live (its viable and applicable). I think this is where our work should lie as musicians: actively commissioning and performing new works for the public.

I hope this helps---poke your head into ed's forum and pop him this question. He'll dig.

best,

-chris