Modern Trumpet Music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Jul 26, 2008.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Ive been trying to get my dad to write some stuff for trumpet.

I am fairly close in with my schools collection of composers (myself being one), so I probably will try to get a couple of pieces even though I am not the first trumpeteer on the list of people to go to...

2. ckallmyer

ckallmyer New Friend

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You don't have to be the best to be the go-to-guy. I've found that a willing attitude, eager collaborative spirit, and hard work can make you "the guy" for working with new composers (if that is what you want to do.) A lot of people don't have that spirit, even though they are great players. ---the most important thing is to put yourself out there.

I played six new works for solo trumpet this year, and over twenty other new works for various ensembles; but I'm not the most regarded player at my school. I want the work--I seek it out, and I make it happen as much as I can. It is what I really dig. I think that is more important than chops---because you can learn chops. You can't learn to be a good person to work with.

-chris

3. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I love new works. My heart is in the composition world. It is shockingly different from the regular instrumentalist world as I've found out. I was actually pondering organizing a more structured able body of students to play other peoples compositions in my school...

I am currently working on a piece for trumpet and piano, but.... I hate playing my own compositions.