"Modern" trumpet playing (commercial/jazz)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connloyalist, May 22, 2006.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Couldn't agree more. Sometimes when band leaders ask if I need a microphone, I'll point to the bell of my horn and say, "That's my microphone." They are sometimes necessary so you don't have to blow your brains out. Anotther story: when I was at an unnamed music school there were two big bands. One would record with close mics on every instrument, sound baffles between sections, plexiglass surrounding the drummer, the bassist with a line directly in the board. The other band would record in a good sounding hall with two mics in a V pattern about ten feet off the floor in front of the band. Guess which recordings came out better?

Michael McLaughlin

"I knew two twin brothers once, one became an explorer and went of to Africa and the other became vice-president and neither were ever heard from again." Mark Twain

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

high notes or not

Great points.

I play lots of rock and roll gigs. The rhythm section is amplified andoutta control. I use a mic with my new Soundback reflector as a survival tool.

On most big band gigs I don't use a mic. On combo dates I almost never do.

Now to the higher/faster/louder caveat of modern jazz playing.

Some trumpet players who have a reputation as screamers are trying to distance themselves from that reputation. In my own small way, I have had that rep around Chicago. In my first real serious CD project, I play only a few high notes. I am trying to be more melodic appeal to more than just trumpet players!

Walt Johson comments on this in his JazzPlayerRadio interview and his new CD is a serious departure from his reputation as one the hottest lead players around.

Christine mentions Harry James and Herb Alpert. Herb Alpert is why I started on trumpet in the first place! I would add Lee Morgan and Freddie Morgan to the mix.

Ok, I'm rambling in between classes! It's the last day for seniors and things are a little emotional around here.

Later.

Nick

3. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello, Christine (& others) --

Interesting post-topic, and comments here by posters.

There is now (in the USA, at least) a "culture" of "bigger (& fatter), faster, louder". Like Yogi Berra said, "No one goes there anymore, because it's too crowded".

Audiences are getting bored, rapidly. The song-lists are one "wait-until-you-hear-this" tune after another, all in ascending volume and "higher-&-higher", with climactic finishes rivaling a Saturn V rocket at Cape Canavaral.

I recently read that a Trumpet is capable of producing 130-db's (measured sound pressure levels) -- equivalent to heavy-metal rock concerts.

Who needs it?

Ever listen to the Miles Davis album, "In a Quiet Way" ? Ever listen to Chet Baker ?

I was inspired to play the Trumpet after listening to Raphael Mendez; and, later, Harry James and Ray Anthony.

When I began to take lessons from a veteran Jazz Trumpet educator and author, in New York, ... after listening to me play, he commented, "You've been listening to too much Harry James!". Then, he sheepishly added, "Stay with it, lad; ... we don't hear much of that stuff anymore, sadly".

Robt

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    On the other hand, why do trumpet players play so loud? Because we can. It's an inescable part of the trumpet world. Someone has to deafen the trombones. Sometimes we have to compete with drums, and we're the only ones who can. At the same time, as my very first trumpet teacher (Don Stoyke, in Minneapolis) used to say, the trumpet is both the loudest and softest instrument there is. We have an extraordinarily wide dynamic range.

Michael McLaughlin

"All poets and artists who are in love with the superlative want more than they are capable of." Nietschze