Moist or dry mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Wlfgng's post about humidity brought forth some replys about a dry mouthpiece. I have always licked the MP before playing. Maybe that is why I am having air and range problems. I will try playing "dry" and see if it can be done and if it helps or hinders.

2. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    EDIT

If your lips get wet that normal. why would you want to lick your mouthpeice?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  3. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I was always a dry player until I got a new teacher who said I needed to lick my lips and play wet. I wish I had never done that. Always have wet lips and I can't go back to the old way.

4. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    what's so bad about having wet lips? i lick my lips, is that a bad habit?

5. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    This, to me, is one of those overthinking things.

Your lips are going to be what they're going to be. Conditions may apply dependent on relative humidity. Just play.

IMO, a proper embouchure is not dependent on wet or dry or whatever lips. Find a strong, reliable embouchure stance and put the horn on your face and blow. Less thinking of "wet or dry" or any other thing that is ultimately out of your control in any environment -- and more thought on music is always the direction I would head someone.

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Moist lips supposedly gives you a better seal against the mouthpiece. At least that's the theory. I was better off playing dry. However, I am pretty sure there are some pretty famous players who played with moist lips. Probably equal. I guess, if it works don't fix it. That's my motto.

7. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Playing dry or moist is your choice. None of them are wrong. Some professionals say its wrong to play with wet lips but thats there opinion. There are no rules in trumpet playing. who ever invented the trumpet didn't write any rules. both work and none are wrong. most people just feel more comfortable to play with dry.

DanZ_FL likes this.
  8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    If you are dependent on playing with dry lips, playing in a warm, steamy environment will be devastating. That may sound like extreme, unlikely conditions, but I've encountered them at outdoor concerts and at lots of inadequately-ventilated clubs.

Being dependent on playing on wet chops has limitations too, but I've been able to deal with them (so far) with lip balm and always having water on stage.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I always lick my lips before I put the mpc up. been doing for so long I can't remember when i started. I don't like the feel of dry lips against the mpc. I don't like to "grip" the mpc with my lips. I don't have any problems with range.

10. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Is this what Maynard meant when he said he "gripped" the mouthpiece? Or something entirely different not based on moisture?