Moisture or spit?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, May 6, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm getting moisture or spit interfering with the note I'm producing in the horn. It is most prevelant in the mouthpiece area during a "20 min. G" or the like. I don't have that problem while playing an exercise or tune, but if a note has to be held long I have the mental anxiety of a water rattle. This is after my mouthpiece is cleaned and brushed, and the trumpet is emptied of spit using all the water keys and methods to get spit/moisture out of the horn while playing. I'll continue exploring the possibilities of cause and change, but your help in this matter would be appreciated. My embouchure for these long tone exercises is relaxed, no/little pressure, breathing through nose, as much pink in the cup as possible for a good tone. I live in Florida where moisture is a problem but I practice in an air conditioned house. That's all the info I know to give you. Hope there's something for me to try, undo, or do differently.........tom

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Just open your lead pipe spit valve while doing your twenty minute note. 3 seconds of less than perfect sound won't hurt.

If it doesn't pose a problem while you play pieces or perform I wouldn't worry about it. Other than warm ups, notes are hardly ever more than a few bars long anyways.

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Brekelefuw, That's a simple fix, and a good way to look at the situation. I'll give it a go............

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    How about just finding a different way to warm up other than a sustained note for 20 minutes? It's not necessary to do that to become a functioning trumpeter or even a great one. You have many other alternatives. The world is filled with books that include warm ups that make a lot more sense than that.

ML

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    change the fingering for the G to 1+3 when the horn starts to gurgle. The juice flows into the 3rd valve and then you go back to open - moisture gone!
    I do agree with Manny that a 20 minute long tone does rob one of precious time needed for other skills. If you have 4+ hours a day to practice, that may not be significant, but I can fill 4+ hours with skill building exercizes too! Clarke played VERY softly can accomplish more in the same time........

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Manny & rowuk, I didn't mean that I play a 20 min. G to warm up, sorry. I do have a different warm up routine that includes some long tones, flexibility exercise, and slurring and tounging scales. I do the "20 min. G" in front of the TV with a harmon mute to build facial muscle, stamina, and general experimentation. It's a good way to feel like I'm not just vegitating in front of the tube, and it is not a formal warm up before practicing. THE SPIT-RIPPLE I'M TALKING ABOUT IS NOT THE USUAL GURGLE DISPENCED BY THE WATER KEYS. IT'S PRESENT IN THE MOUTHPIECE AND MOUTHPIECE RECEIVER AREA. That's why I was wondering if it had something to do with my embochure. It seems to lessen when I increase the embochure opening. I'll mention this to the guy I study with occassionally. But I still would like your opinions about this.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Could it be because of extra spit forming in your mouth? If so, perhaps your tongue is too high. If it is extra condensed moisture in the horn, that comes from blowing lots of warm air - a good thing.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you are doing the 20 minute G in front of the TV are you concentrating on the TV? or on the purity and accuracy of the "G"?

Because if you aren't concentrating on the NOTE then you are wasting your time. This is true of ALL practice. You might as well be doing the pencil exercise instead.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When we play "normally", we BLOW moisture into the horn. When we play very softly, maybe we do not have enough pressure to force the moisture to the spit key. It would then collect further forward - maybe even in the mouthpiece receiver. Moisture is affected by gravity so put your television on the floor and blow DOWN at it. Condescention is not politically correct, but I think your television can take it..........
    Actually, I agree with toots - if you are not paying enough attention, you are not getting enough benefit.

10. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I KNEW IT! I expected that "no-no bad boy" finger shaking response to the TV & trumpet playing combo. The fact is that I have a head harness that holds my trumpet to my lips all day long, even when I sleep. I don't waste one opportunity to buzz my lips into that horn. It's not the quality it's the quantity. It's a Zen approach that will eventually make me one with the horn; two bodies one voice! The only horn players that will understand this approach are those that sleep with Arban's under their pillow believing that the knowledge will be absorbed through osmosis. Tootsy and rowuk, I hear you, but just for the heck of it, I have a great deal on the Brooklyn Bridge, are you interested? By the way, there is NO tv in my practice room, and yes I do spend a fair amount of time in there...sleeping...just kidding................tom