Monel Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Aug 29, 2010.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I recommend the Herbert L Clarke Technical Studies for your 3rd finger

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    What about the Yamaha Euphonium/Baritone/Tuba valves....those are the worst. 99% of their valve problems are non lubed valves or improper valve guide installation.

3. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I agree, but this is TrumpetMaster, not BaritoneMaster

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Touché

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, Yamaha helps keep those workshops in business. Of course, a low maintenance valve is a selling point. Getzen has been pushing this for YEARS. Selmer even had a better idea with the Radial 2° valves. That actually matches our grip far better, reduced wear by keeping the stroke aligned with the piston. My Selmer D/Eb has these valves and they are still amazing even after 35 years of heavy use! I sure wish that they were still available on a high end horn today.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    With regards to my YTR-2335S, Yamaha advised me this horn was manufactured in 2006 and has nickel plated valves. Valves 1 & 2 work flawlessly, #3 has that "chatter" thing if the stroke is not perfectly aligned with the cylinder. It does not affect the playing at all, just has a bit of a strange feel (sometimes). Even switched to synthetic oil, with no improvement. Could the #3 valve be damaged, or is it some other issue? It is not my fingers!
    Are Yamaha's prone to these problems? How about the Xeno line?

7. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I personally do not like Monel valves. My Jupiter Tribune 1000S has Models and although they are smooth, they are not as good as nickel plated or stainless steel valves.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Pretty much every horn I have ever owned has/had monel valves:

King student model cornet
    Yamaha YTR 739T
    Bach Strad (x2)
    Kanstul 925 flugel
    Schilke B6

I have yet to have an issue with valves on any horn I have played over nearly 30 years with the exception of a Strad I borrowed from a friend - I believe that was a wear-in issue where I was pushing the valves differently than the person who owned the horn before. (he wasn't a trumpet player - he just owned the horn)

I don't know if it's a thing with body chemistry or what, but I've rarely even given my valves a second thought. I oil up before every gig, and if they start to feel sluggish in the practice room - otherwise they have all been fine.

9. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Unlikely for a King student cornet to have Monel - much more likely to have been Nickel Plate (they did their plating pretty well).

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I have been told by several band instrument repair centers and teachers that Yamaha's are more prone to valve problems....is this true?