Monel Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I think my problems where the break-in issues. I bought the horn new in 2008

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Possibly - I'll give it a look tonight. That horn hasn't really been played at all since about 1983/84.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    That is a bit too broad a statement. It is like saying that an Irishman is probably a drunkard! :-)

The lower model number instruments, 1335, 2335, 4335 etc tend to have valve problems. The 6335 and upper models do not have intrinsic valve problems. In other words, there is nothing in particular wrong with the valves on Yamaha Professional model trumpets.

Teachers and repairers will well know the problems with pitted plating and too tight a fit with the lower model Yamaha instruments. I currently have a batch of 2335s with valve problems from a school. Several of them need a complete set of new pistons.

But companies can easily re-invent themselves. For instance, Amati have a reputation for having really bad valves. This is due to their having really bad valves in the past. But for over 5 years, they have been making valve clusters which would not be out of place on a top professional horn.

We must be certain that we make judgements based on the current situation, and our own experience, rather than broadcasting the possibly out-of-date comments we have overheard.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The poor thing; isn't it feeling a little neglected? :-(

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks for all of your input. I just contacted a reputable repair shop that suggested we do some lapping on the valve to fix it. They were shocked when I told them it was a Yamaha. They claim that this is very common with Bach, and they rarely have any valve issues with the Yamaha trumpets.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Maybe I'll post a pic of it later tonight - neglected, maybe - but it's in ROUGH shape - playable, but that's about it.

7. Kima

Kima New Friend

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    My experience as a comeback player and new to monel valves, is that they stick a lot faster than the valves of my old Blessing cornet! I'm not sure what material they are (nickel I think), but they are in pretty good shape after about (probably) 30 years around. I wouldn't let monel pistons seduce me next time I buy a new trumpet!

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I stand corrected - those valves are nickel plated, and are actually in pretty good shape.

Off topic, but someday when I have some extra money just laying around (yeah, right!) I want to take that cornet somewhere and get it completely overhauled and restored to it's original condition, and not the condition it was in by the time I got it after my cousin bashed it up and used the original mouthpiece as a pipe.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Go to Doctor Valve, Trumpet Repair and Restoration for awesome repair / refurbishing work!

10. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    I have a few Yamahas, and I believe that they have an "M" stamped on the valve itself, below the 1, 2, and 3.