Monel vs Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Eclipse no longer uses Baurefein valves.

BTW I thought my valves on my Eclipse were the best I ever played, then I got my 1968 Getzen Eterna.

The Getzen valves are just as good, fast, smooth and easy as the Eclipse/Bauerfein.

I agree with Rowuk's assessment.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    I bought a King Silverflair in 1991 with stainless steel valves and they are completely worn out now. I recently bought a Yamaha Xeno with monel valves and they are like butter! Why do all the high-end Bachs and Yammies all have monel valves if they are no good?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    To keep their techs busy. ;-) I think monel can be made to tighter tolerances. I read it an article about valves awhile back and someone mentioned it in a post 2 days ago. That's why they use thinner oil or they get finicky.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    They are cheaper to make than stainless and last longer than plated brass.

IME monel valves have the worst feel and are most likely to stick.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I don't think King has *ever* made stainless steel valves.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Plated valves like Getzen make will outlast any monel. The problem with monel is that it (in the form used for trumpet valves) is a soft metal, as is the valve casing. Soft against soft wears very quickly. On the other hand, both Stainless and Nickel plate are hard metals and will bear on soft brass for a very long time.

7. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    This is interesting. 'The tactile feel'.

Would there be any difference in weight between different metals being used? I know from my own experience that adding or taking away weight from the stems and buttons makes a huge difference to the way valves feel.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a problem w/ nickel, I turn it black and blister plating. Monel valve metal is my favorite, but I have not had a trumpet w/ stainless steel valves. I might change my mind then, but as I can't afford new horns I might never get a stainless steel valve. As Monel and stainless steel are "new" metals, I suspect that stainless steel is a trend because new manufacturing equipment makes them easier to machine. We'll all see in a few decades which is the best metal. Of course, after seeing 40-50 year old plating on Martins and Kings in incredible condition, I can't help but think plating is no longer practical for most manufacturerers.

9. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    One of the bigger problems with plating these days are the acids and cyanide (in some cases) are heavily regulated, hence my earlier posts about anodizing and polymer coats

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Monel and stainless are not new. I've seen a 40's Strad with monel valves. Really! Getzen still plates with nickel as do most high end makers. Mainly, though not all, lower end horns are monel because of the cost being lower. Nickel is hard to beat as the "go to" plating for valves.