Monel vs Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Feb 16, 2011.

1. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    Monel came along about the same time as stainless ,IIRC . When rubbing surfaces are involved there must be a significant difference of hardness or galling will result.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Stainless valves will give you higher range !! …………OK I’M JUST KIDDING, but it WAS funny !!

It is my understanding that all valves are made of Monel. Monel is used due to it’s characteristics to withstand corrosive environments ( Trumpets ) at almost any temperature up to 1000 Deg F. Additionally monel withstands expansion and contraction better than most metals, hence your valves will not stick due to temperature changes, but still will with lack of oil and cleaning. Stainless steel is a trace element in all Monel. Some companies use more of the Stainless in the Monel and call them Stainless Steel valves. So if you have “Stainless Steel” valves they are not 100% solid stainless, as 100% stainless will expand and contract in temp. changes, they are Monel with more of the Stainless trace element than typical Monel. This is only my understanding from a metallurgist friend ……

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Monel valves are made from Monel, a brass alloy. Or, more precisely, from a tube of Monel through which the brass elbows (ports) are braised. Stainless Steel valves are made from a tube of stainless steel through which brass elbows (ports) are braised.

Kang-Ling likes this.
  4. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I was told that Monel was developed by the navy to withstand seawater's corrosive effects. Stainless steel and Monel are alloys about 100 years old. Unlike brass, bronze, iron, etc which are milleniums old.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As a very old and,now giving up trumpeter with an extensive 'accumilation' of trumpets and cornats, my finding is that the longest living valves that I have found were the Conn 'Crysteel' stainless steel valves. My favorite trumpet, mostly because of its ultra light and fast valves is, my Reynolds Argenta trumpet. This trumpet has monel valve pistons in nickel silver casings. In second place for valve performance is my 1947 Conn 2B with Crysteel valves. Just yesterday I gave away to one of our concert band members, my Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet. When she pulled the valves, she exclaimed at the roller bearing valve guides and the total lack of wear marks on all of them. The valve action was notably lighter and faster than with her Bach TR300.

Which is overall the best, the jury is still out, but, I have one more rehearsal and one more concert until I hang up my horns and start getting rid of them.

OLDLOU>>

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth

Thanks Trumpetsplus, I've wondered about that...

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Sorry to hear that you're retiring from playing, Lou.

8. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'm also sorry to hear that you're stepping away. I note in your sig block that you have a Bohm Meinl trumpet. I'd love to hear more about your horn. I bought a Bohm Meinl from eBay for $50 as a lark, had a mismatched valve cap replaced with a machined-to-match cap, and have been playing the heck out of the horn with great joy. Yours is the first Bohm Meinl I've seen mentioned in this forum.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sorry to hear you're retiring Oldlou. I'm sure you'll get plenty of messages lamenting the loss of a trumpet voice. You can also expect us to gather like buzzards ready to feast on all those appetizing horns you have listed ;-)

You happen to have a pic of that Couturier?

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    You happen to have a pic of that Couturier?[/QUOTE]

I not only can send a picture of my Couturier, but, also my, before the patent date, York Wizard, totally conical cornet, designed by Couturier.

OLDLOU>>