Monette and Torpedo Bad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Mar 20, 2012.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Will a standard size Bb Monette fit in a Torpedo bad or is that unthinkable to do? :)

Trax

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would think so. But you can PM grizzle, he is the torpedo bag designer/maker and he is pretty active here. He will know for sure but I dont see why it would not fit.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes... they fit.

4. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    But you will need to put another piece of string on the first valve slide to hold it on in the case. Does Monette make special 1st slide string to go along with their 3rd slide string?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Because the bell of the Monette is very soft and not tempered like most other brands, I would NOT put it in any soft case. I bent my Ajna2 bell in a reunion blues gig bag that was otherwise big enough.

Don't do it.

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  7. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    The Torpedo is not a soft gig bag - it has a hard shell with firm support on the inside. I find that different Harrelson models fit nice and snug in a Torpedo. I've never had a Monette, so don't know if there would still be an issue with soft bells, though want to clarify that there is far more support and protection (with a Torpedo) than with a soft gig bag.

8. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    That depends on which Torpedo your talking about. My black leather Loredo does have some give to the case. Its not the same as the one they threw out of the car obviously.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys,

I know that the Torpedo is not "soft". Due to its construction, it is simply not suited for the Monette. The Monette bell would not get damaged from left to right, rather the possibility of axial damage is too great. This is also why Monette does not recommend using trumpet stands either. There is a reason that the Monette cases are built the way they are. They secure the horn on the sides, leaving the bell free of stress. It even makes a difference if we have the smaller or large bell horns. Dave tells all of his clients that the horn belongs in your hands making music or in the case.

Before commenting on the case because you can't imagine why there would be a problem, consider that I have had 2 Monettes, several cases/bags and am posting experience not imagination. Receive instead of transmit is good in the twilight zone.

I am currently using a Reunion Blues Trumpet/Flugelhorn bag (when I need both of those horns), but I built an extra fiberglass/foam shell for the Monette that keeps pressure off of the front and back of the bell.

The only gig bag that I can recommend for the Monette is the Monette hard shelled gig bag. There is a reason that those horns have soft bells and it has nothing to do with selling cases.

Don't do it.