Monette BL2 vs. MF II

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by John Miconi, Nov 12, 2004.

1. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Any similarities or comments when comparing these two mpcs? :)

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Similarities: They cost a lot :shock: Well, the inside diameter is for all practical purposes the same size,

From the Monette site:

MF II The new Monette MF II is Maynard Ferguson's first radical change in mouthpiece rim and cup design in over 20 years. Dave Monette worked personally with Maynard to develop the design. The result is an unusually easy-to-play, mainstream lead mouthpiece that has a huge sound. It "slots" almost like a classical mouthpiece! If you have ever tried our classic BL2 design, then imagine the same basic mouthpiece with a bigger sound and an even more for-giving, stable response!

MF III The latest Maynard Ferguson mouthpiece, this new size (Summer, 2003) is similar to the tried-and-proven MFII, but has slightly less bite to the rim.

This says to me that the MFII has a bit more mass (good slotting on a lead piece) and a sharper rim than the BL2 (since they came out with the MF III with less bite).

The classic Jet-tones were shallow with flat rims -- I always thought that was a funny combination. It sounds like the MFII is shallow, with some mass, and a sharper bite. The BL2 should be a bit more comfortable (and provide for more endurance), but the trade out is slotting (and crisper attacks).

Now I have never played either mouthpiece. I have just spent the better part of the last two years making a mouthpiece chart and reading specs and I think I have gotten kind of used to "reading between the advertising lines" so to speak.

A quick look at the Kanstul mouthpiece comparator shows that what I said above is true. Not a lot of difference between the two, but the MF II is a bit sharper.

http://www.kanstul.com/pages/mpcredirect.html

Monettes are expensive and non-returnable, so I doubt few have tried both of them unless they have been to a dealer. Kanstul makes exact copies (since mouthpieces cannot be patented or copyrighted) for a lot less ($100, but in silver, not gold).

Jim

3. hithigh

hithigh New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    MF ll is practically same piece as BL2, just slightly deeper.
    Martti