Monette Flugelhorn!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Feb 15, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Heh, heh, heh.

All of the experts out there judging on a YouTube web video. Some real hi fi reproduction there.

Go see Wynton with the horn and then comment after hearing it live. You won't even notice that it is a Monette because the music is SO ENVELOPING.

2. Darkflugel20

Darkflugel20 New Friend

Jan 10, 2011
    So rowuk...are you saying that you don't think the horn is good? It sounds like you're saying that the video is making the horn sound good, and that you can't judge a horn/players quality on a video...? Did I misunderstand your post?
    Don't you play a Monette?

3. Darkflugel20

Darkflugel20 New Friend

Jan 10, 2011
    Oh, and I think the horns looks and sounds great too! Go Rashawn Ross and Troy Andrews!

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
  5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually I am saying that a you tube video says NOTHING about anything. Judging the sound of any horn with a impromptu recording made by a hand held video recorder is pretty "stupid".

What I meant is that with any of these world class musicians, I am so involved in the music that I could care less what horn that they play. Yes, I also play Monette. That gives me a bit of insite into what Dave Monette wants to accomplish, and the confidence to say that if you haven't spent time with the horn, that you really can't comment on anything except how it looks. There are so many brainless comments concerning many instruments. There is a big world to discover out there. All it requires is a bit of open mindedness.

In this case we have a prototype horn and I am sure as Dave builds a couple more of them, there will be some interesting developments.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ditto regarding not deciding anything based on YouTube and ditto on lots of stupid comments. Just like the ignorant ones that claim Taylor and Harrelson are imitating Monette designs, does this new horn imitate Taylor and Harrelson since they already sell flugels?

People see photos or videos on the web and assume all sorts of false things.

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    "In this case we have a prototype horn and I am sure as Dave builds a couple more of them, there will be some interesting developments." - Rowuk

Agreed. I said something like this earlier in the thread. Dave seems to come up with ways to make his horns better every night when he sleeps or something. Before we know it, there'll probably be a Raja III Flugelhorn....

Kujo

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    And you will need a tripod to support it while playing............

9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Yeah, it would only be like....say...8-9 pounds?!?! Well, considering there are people out there that march and play euphoniums and tubas... :)

Kujo

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'll be waiting to hear a real recording - so far it just sounds like a Monette trumpet to me!