Monette Flumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by loweredsixth, Nov 1, 2005.

1. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Manny, have you played a flumpet? If so, will you please comment on it for me?

I'm considering buying one (or a cornet) and I'd like to do some research before I visit the factory and try them.

If you did play one, how would you compare it to a cornet? or to a flugel? opr to a trumpet? Ya know...flexibility, tone, intonation, etc>

Thanks Manny

Joe Lewis

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    When you play it softly or even at a medium dynamic it has a very unique tone, more buttery than a flugelhorn. It has a more beautiful tone than a flugel because of the depth of sound. Flugels disperse quicker than Flumpets. When you open up on it it takes on the sound of an outrageously big trumpet but with greater depth and warmth. It's a beautiful instrument. I prefer it to a cornet and wish I owned one for Berlioz pieces and Bruckner symphonies.

ML

3. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Thanks Manny. On the video the flumpet and cornet sound similar, with the cornet coming across as more direct. But, it's very difficult to discuss sound based on that video alone.

As you may or may not know, I play cornet exclusively in my small jazz group. We play mostly modern-type stuff (think Wynton's Magic Hour,) and I never really have to worry about blending with other brass in a traditional way.

I've always loved the deep, warm sound of the cornet. What I really want is an instrument that has a huge, fat, dark sound that can have a little brilliance at the higher dynamics.

So, I can't tell if that would be the Monette cornet or Flumpet.

Joe Lewis

4. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    The flumpet is a much more diffuse sound than the cornet, listen to the clip of Antoine Drye playing "joy spring" on the PRANA cornet then the PRANA flumpet.

5. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey loweredsixth

If you wanna hear a Flumpet in all its awesome beauty go buy the DVD Rules Of Engagement. That movie was scored by Mark Ishlam using a Flumpet. Go here for more info.

http://www.monette.net/newsite/online/april00/isham.html

If you can afford a Flumpet then I'd say its a GREAT investment! I cant say I'd ever buy a Monette Trumpet cause I'm really happy with my Martin Committee, but a specialty instrument like this is worth what Dave is asking. I LOVE what I've heard from this beautiful instrument.

I really like having a deep dark smooth sound on my horn and to further this in ballad playing (think Wyntons Resolution of Romance) I use a Bach 1c. For some reason the more I advance my playing, the more I am being drawn to a Flumpet type sound. Maybe I am a flugel player at heart :lol:

I think next year I am gonna get a Monette mouthpiece, and a Flumpet?...well thats a dream for now :cool:

6. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    In the words of Homer Simpson:
    "Mmmm Flumpet, Arrrrhhhhhhh"

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Monette is designing a new flumpette for Maynard. I was told this will be a super tweaked horn that will not be available to anyone.

It will be very interesting to hear the kind of sounds he gets out of this new instrument going from the upper register to the lower more beautiful sounds for his ballads.

8. everest

everest New Friend

Feb 29, 2008
    Hello,

I just read the descriptions above of those of you who have played a Monette Flumpet - it sounds abosolutely magical. I am currently searching to find out more about this instrument as the only time I have seen my husband with tears in his eyes was when he told me the story of Monette and how much he dreams of owning a flumpet. I know that Monette interviews the musicians that want to own one of these but I would like to arrange this for my husband for his birthday in 2009 without him knowing. Do any of you have any experiences with Monette and what information he might require prior to even an interview. I thought that perhaps I could even fly my husband down to California for the interview as the 1st part of the present but I don't want to sound unprofessional if I contact Monette. Any advise would be great.

Thank you,
    everest

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Just talk to the company. They will make you one. Monette isn't in california.

10. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Some voices from TM's past in this thread!