Monette Lead Pieces

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by AndrewWK, Nov 26, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    I was thinking about asking my parents for a Monette Lead Piece for Christmas. It is the MF III.

What do you guys think about it?
    Worth the Money?
    Good/Bad?
    Better than the MF I and MF II?
    Is it hard to start off with?
    Is it impossible to play on because it is so small?

Thanks for all the help,
    ANdrewWK

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I'll tell you this right now- it's not worth the money unless you have played it and know that it's the best lead piece for you. It could be the perfect piece for you, or it could end up being impossible to play on. I've always had trouble with Maynard's pieces- the Jet Tone, the Monettes, I just can't blow on 'em. Try one out, try a hundred pieces out before making that kind of investment. It's well worth the time and effort.

3. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Are there Monette dealers in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area that you know of?

Thanks for the info,
    AndrewWK

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    There are no Monette dealers in Texas, according to the Monette site.

However, if you feel you're ready to make a big investment in a good mouthpiece you should consider GR. Horn Haven is in Dallas and apparently they have "trained GR mouthpiece consultants". Give them a call. If they're anywhere near as good to you as Brian Scriver was to me then you'll find your perfect mouthpiece. Less money than a Monette too.

You can't buy a mouthpiece based on reviews. You might be able to choose a manufacturer but not a model. Don'y buy a MF-anything without trying one out first. I don't have a lot of experience with Monette gear and I'm sure he makes a great mouthpiece but it's a big investment to make without trying it first.

If you have a GR consultation you'll learn a lot about that works for you and what doesn't. With a GR dealer so close to you I think it would be well worth your while to check them out.

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I wouldn't buy a Monette without playing one. That is a big problem with them. Very expensive and non-returnable (if you buy them from Monette). Some of the dealers do have a return policy. You would be out a few bucks for shipping. You could try out the Kanstul copies for $100 and many places will take them in return.

But I concur that you should not buy one (unless returnable) without playing it first. Way too much money for a mouthpiece if it doesn't work for you.

Jim

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I played some Monettes the other day when I was looking for a "lead" piece (I ended up getting a Schilke 15B, by the way).

I tried the MF 1 and couldn't produce a single note on it. I have pretty big lips I suppose, but it also has a strange-shaped cup (look at the Kanstul comparator to see what I mean). I would say this probably isn't the best mouthpiece for someone "starting off"!

There is a lot of hype around Monette equipment, but at the end of the day they're just mouthpieces. Try it - if you like it and can afford it, why not get it?

Jack.

7. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I read on the Monette site that Brook Mays is a dealer now. I'd suggest trying a Kanstul M model of the MFIII before laying down the cash for an actual Monette.

8. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I agree with Jim. You must try these mpcs out before you buy them. It is definitely a big investment!!! :cool:

9. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I agree with the above posters ... "try before you buy...". I have somewhere around 80 mpc's (I'm afraid to count them...). I got a number "on speculation" via eBay -- most, I'll never use again. I did get a v good "cross-section" of misc & various mpc's this way, at a relatively modest cost -- and I'll probably come-out about even when I re-sell them.
    I had been wondering about the Monette mpc's myself a while back -- was fortunate in consulting with a knowledgeable "veteran", professional player, who has tried / played almost every horn & mpc on the planet ... His comment about the Monettes -- "overpriced & over-rated" .... There you go ! I can't understand why so many horn-players "copy" after their "flavor-of-the-month" trumpet "god". Get A Life !! -- ...and get your own sound !!!!!

Robert Rowe

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I completely agree with try it before you buy it.
    I do not agree with "over priced and over rated"
    I play Monette and I didn't copy the flavor of the month trumpet god.

I have a life and Monette equipment makes it easier to produce my own sound.

My advise would be:
    Don't listen to people that make wild statements. Have an open mind and play what works for you.