Monette Mouthpiece Gap

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JDondero, Nov 19, 2003.

1. JDondero

JDondero New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    With all the discussions here and elsewhere about Mouthpiece Gap, I have a question. On Monette horns with the integrated mouthpieces, is there any Gap, or is it a smooth connection from backbore to the leadpipe? And even in the horns with non-integrated mouthpieces, is there any Gap? I know that this can be a major factor in how a horn feels, and that people try to increase and/or decrease the gap to optimize their horn's response, so what happens inside a Monette? I have played a few, and loved how they played.

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Monette mpc gap

Monette believes in using a HUGE gap. It can be checked by taking out your wallet and peering into the huge gap where your hard earned money used to be :D

Seth Moore

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    HAHAHAHA!!! That's just too funny! Funny, but true! :lol:

4. JDondero

JDondero New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    I can appreciate the humor in the responses so far - I certainly will never own a Monette, unless I hit the lottery. My question though, is not out of a desire to know more about their horns, but to better understand the function of and/or need for Mouthpiece Gap. As I picture the inside of a monette integrated mouthpiece horn, I'm thinking that there is NO gap - a smooth continuous transition from cup to throat to backbore to lead pipe. If this is the case, is this generally a design feature that should be or could be incorporated into other trumpets? Not an integral mpc., but maybe standard pieces that fit so well that there is no gap. Since this seems pretty do-able, and if it is desireable, why hasn't someone done it? (Or has somebody?) If I had one made to perfectly fit my horn, would it play better, or at least feel like it does?

I just have questions, I'm not trying to promote any horn or manufacturer. Maybe the moderator could provide a couple answers?

Thanks!

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i heard that schilke horns with schilke mouthpieces have no gap.