Monette Mouthpiece man needed!

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by alexT, Jul 29, 2004.

1. alexT

alexT New Friend

May 18, 2004
    London, UK
    I am currently trialing a Monette B1-2 mouthpiece which i really like the fat noise and whisper it has to it, however the rim is a bit sharper and has more bite than I am used to. I really like the depth the the piece, is the B1-1 a better option... is the depth and cup shape and volume the same?

Anyhelp will be much appriciated.

Btw just got my Eclipse Scratch Gold MR two weeks ago!!! man this thing can nearly play itself! Thanks to Leigh and John for such a speedy build and brilliant customer service.

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Call the guys at Monette. They will be very helpful.

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Alex

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!!

Regards

Leigh

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Sounds like you're all tooled-up! (Sorry, I know nothing about mouthpieces)

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    This is getting to be infuriating! I spent a while writing an answer to you and it didn't go through.

Okay, calm cleansing breath...here we go again.

"I am currently trialing a Monette B1-2 mouthpiece which i really like the fat noise and whisper it has to it, however the rim is a bit sharper and has more bite than I am used to. I really like the depth the the piece, is the B1-1 a better option... is the depth and cup shape and volume the same?"

That rim was designed for me as a result of a request I made to David many years ago. I was used to Bach rims and didn't favor the rounder Schilke-style rim.

It could be because of the way that I play. That is, I use a fairly emphatic TOOH when I play. What that does, I came to realize in recent years, is that it creates somewhat of a "cushion" that allows me to deal with a sharper rim without adverse effects. Give that a go and see if it helps. It also creates a more complete surface for the lips to vibrate against the mouthpiece. More contact with very little pressure is one way to think about it.

The 1-1 mouthpiece has too big a diameter for me but not others. Schlueter, Balio, Aley...these folks have no problem whatsoever.

Hope that helps. If it does and people start hiring you or you get a significant job, just send me 10% of whatever you make for the next 20 years.

If it doesn't, kindly keep it to yourself and don't tell anyone you talked to me.

: )

ML

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    To add to what Manny said, I also played the C1-2 when I was playing Monette equipment. After trying the C1-1, and C1-5 the C1-2 worked best for me. I like a good bite on the inner edge, as it allows me to back off on my tonguing intensity. With the C1-1 my tonguing was sluggish. And the C1-5 did not give my chops enough support.
    I am now using a Bach 1X, which is the rim the C1-2 was patterned after.

Keep the throat open, use the TOH syllable, and back off.

Mike

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Sorry for my ignorance, but how much do monette pieces cost?

8. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    $195, and you're not ignorant.

I play a B1-2, and one of the things I like most about it is the feel on my lips. I can't stand using any other piece anymore, which is why I don't. ;) To each his own, I suppose...

9. Yakeko

Yakeko New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Finland
    Standard Monette mouthpieces cost ~195$ and Pranas ~315$. I Don't know much about Standard Monettes but I recently bought B2 PRANA. These mouthpieces are just dream to play.. at least my new B2. 8)

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "When I point, look where I point, not at my finger..."

That was Bruce Lee in "Enter the Dragon".

Do you remember what he says to complete the sentence, Yakeko?

It's a great lesson in understanding the difference between a process and a result, isn't it?

ML