monette mpc

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldyoung_guy, Jan 27, 2006.

1. oldyoung_guy

oldyoung_guy New Friend

Jan 27, 2006
    calexico ca
    i just received my monette mpc (B2) stc-1 original not prana
    about a week ago.
    i really like the mpc (alot more endurance) but was
    wondering if it's gonna get better with more time,
    i had very little acclimationtime(i had about 2 weeks
    prior to receiving it tried and
    become used to playing "open" like it says on the web
    site with my previous mpc a 11/2c megatone), i had
    no trouble(at least it seems) slotting notes, intonation,
    none of the problems the web site said i'd have.
    so i ask again, will i benefit more from the piece as time goes
    by?

thanks,
    Aaron Garcia

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Aaron,
    Here's my opinion: when you play your bach megatone, you are probably constantly making adjustments. You might not feel yourself working harder, but you probably are. The Monette mouthpiece doesn't require all that extra work, so you're working less to achieve the same results, hence the added endurance. It sounds like you're really taking advantage of this. Congrats!

Can you play more efficiently? yes, and it will certainly be easier on your monette than your megatone, but no matter what it's the player that makes the difference. so to answer your question, yes, you will continue to benefit from the mouthpiece, but just remember that like every other piece of equipment you own, it's an inanimate object that doesn't do a dang thing by itself.

-Jimi

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I echo Jimi's comments,

I switched from a bach 3C to the Monette STC-1 B4S, took me about 3 weeks to really get a good feel on the Monette.

I have improved in every area of my playing ever since. This does not happen on it's own, you need to do the work....

I started working the Jim Thompson Buzzing method using the BERP system recently and this has helped me 5 to 10 fold easily.

Congrats on the new mouthpiece your gonna love it for sure.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello Aaron!

I had a similar experience. I have always played variations of a Bach "1 or 1C". My last mouthpiece was a Stork, custom designed, that I played on for five years. There was nothing wrong with it and I sounded fine on it. ML stuck a Monette C1-2 in my hands and I played it for that day and every day since. Scouts honor! I never once went back to the Stork for a test or comparison or for psychological comfort. The Monette felt like "home" instantly. Infact, I didn't play my Bflat for three weeks until I could get a Monette B1-2 for it. It still makes me shake my head in wonder to think about it. Never has someone handed me a mouthpiece and my chops went "OK" and we went on our merry way never looking back. Pretty cool, huh?

What the Monette mouthpieces do make you think about is how you are blowing and what your body is doing when you play. If you don't have a long acclimation, it just means that you were already playing properly and the adjustments will be more of a "fine tuning" than "in your face". I am finding that the Prana requires some adjustment in comparison to the traditional C1-2, but it still feels great and sounds great. The biggest adjustment is learning to back off a bit. Using a warmer air-stream - like fogging up a window with your breath - seems to agree with them. I think by next week, any glaring acclimation will be finished.

A side note, NONE of this interferes with playing my non Monette pieces. I still play a Stork piccolo mouthpiece and my old Stork for my Eflat playing. It just makes me play more properly on these pieces and I let my ear be my guide.

5. oldyoung_guy

oldyoung_guy New Friend

Jan 27, 2006
    calexico ca
    thanks for the replies!
    it makes me feel great that i'll continue to
    benefit from the piece. Dave truly is a real
    monster. Thanks again for the responses and
    I'll go play some more.

Aaron Garcia

6. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Alex. whoch Stork MP do you use for picc?

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    A 7P which I chose because it was closest to a Bach 10 1/2 C.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    oldyoungguy,

I, like you, didn't have really any problem adjusting and the only change that i've found is to never take the inhalation for granted. Lots of air in and letting it go with a bouyant fredom was the thing that always kept me on track.

Have fun,
    ML