Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I've never played a Monette trumpet or anything, so I obviously can't say anything about how they play, or the craftsmanship and what not put into his instruments...however: I think that dcbrown1 has some good points. Dave Monette has a lot of good things going for his instruments that help drive those prices up.

1) He has multiple "top players" that have and do use his products. To name a few, Wynton, Maynard, Charles Schlueter, Art Farmer (and TONS of others) He also did some stuff with Doc back in the day. Having these top players playing his instruments are just like certain sports stars using certain brands of golf clubs, baseball bats etc....it brings in customers!

2) He's built up a major mystique with his instruments. It makes trumpeters believe there is something special and different (magical) about them. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't??? It's amazing how easy it is to sneak into the human brain and make people believe things...just by slipping certain words into a sentance. One phrase I tend to here in various Monette videos is "double high C" or "much easier high range". Those phrases tend to get a trumpeters attention!

3) He's a MASTER business man. He knows his craft, and he knows his customers. The man knows what he's doing, and he knows how to make a profit.

4) His instruments are unique. He offers different "custom options" that many companies don't. Integral mouthpieces, his decorated instruments, the high dollar finger buttons, etc...

Well, those are some of my thoughts on the whole Monette discussion.

Kujo

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... and so we sell our heritage and consign our kids to a life of unemployment - charity begins at home, and you have to donate for the charity thing to work.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks for the comments. Having owned one, it helps to hear your thoughts. Obviously, he has many happy customers. Sounds like the Bach is your perfect cup of tea. That's why there are many different brands. Sort of like in the 80's you could by a Delorian or a Toyota. For some, the Toyota did exactly what they needed, even though you could buy a room full of Toyotas for one Delorian -and the Delorian had more of the "hand made, custom aspect" to it. Just an analogy for anyone wanting to jump on it.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
  5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Wow, this thread is still going? :-o

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Who said it had to stop???:dontknow:

7. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    The prices in the price list are high, but I think for custom made trumpets (like Adam Rapas Tantra) can reach up to $30,000!

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Easily, a 4 valve takes more brass and overtime.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    If I was uber rich I'd buy it and buff the snot out of it, just for fun.

10. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Adams option of a 4th valve adds $300-400 to the price fyi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.