Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Trent, thanks for chiming in. The Adams A4 trumpet on your website look a lot like a Monette, is it a copy? It does look pretty and if it plays as good for me as it does for you I have thought about buying one from you in a few years.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It's not a copy... the Adams has never had a Monette in their shop. It's their own take on a Heavy Trumpet... I don't want to de-rail the thread but you can email me off list for more info. I've owned four Monette horns and the Adams and Monette horns play with the same efficiency but I prefer the sound of the Adams over the Monettes.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I contend there is no such thing as a "Monette copy", just like there is no such thing as a Harrelson copy
    or a Taylor copy. Just because a horn appears to be similar to another that indicates little about how it compares.

All the steps taken to produce a custom made horn are unique to each builder.

IOW, they don't all make them the same way even though they physically may resemble each other.

When you buy a custom horn you are primarily paying for the process, not the parts.

4. csemartin

csemartin Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2010
    If you are serious, a Monette is worth every penny.

I bought one last year, and it is an amazing horn. The only way to really understand is to play one. It is as close to perfect as we'll ever see.

Dave Monette is to trumpets what Antonio Stradivari was to violins.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, Dave has NOT set the standard for the next 300 years. Unlike Stradivarius who refined/perfected the development of the STANDARD violin sound, Dave Monette has taken the trumpet elsewhere in sound and response. It is an alternative. It could even perhaps be classified as another instrument.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Seriously, have you seen his Flumpet thing?
    [​IMG]

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Flumpet has been around for a long time. I have played a couple at the Monette shop.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    They are cool, just not my thing. They have mouthpieces that I just couldnt play and like it, to deep and V like.
    Thats a far journey, Germany to the west coast U.S. I would do the same if I was getting a Monette.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sure, in the same way that when you put a mute in a trumpet its no longer a trumpet because it sounds different.
    Stop perpetuating the Monette myth of being "magical". Its just a trumpet.

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    gzent, have you ever played a Monette?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.