Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yep. More than once. Its just a trumpet.

I've also played Bach, Benge, Callet, Carol Brass, Conn, Eclipse, Getzen, Harrelson, Holton, Jupiter, Kanstul, King, Olds, Phaeton, Selmer, Yamaha and Zeus.

Guess what? They're all just trumpets, not magical.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Well, after doing a search in this tread, the only ones to call it "magical" is Kujo20 and you.
    Nobody came out and said, Monettes are not trumpets.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Careful, its not nice to say a moderator is a nobody.;-)

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Your right!

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I'm curious .... You've got the Committee in your signature, not the Monette. Is that your main horn? As good as the Monette, in your opinion?

And, I don't think the comparison is that good with the Stradivarius violins. If I'm not mistaken (I sure could be), we still don't have all the answers as to why these old violins are so good .... But with Dave's trumpets, the manufacturing process is well known (at least to the people in the shop). No mysteries.

I agree with Gzent here ..... When all is said and done, it's just a trumpet. :dontknow: If you're going to own one of these things, it's up to YOU to make it sound great, not the other way around.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I agree too, if it was magical it would play itself. I just like how they look and the sound, but that sound comes from pro musicians that have been playing their whole life.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    True, they do look cool and if you have one built it will be quite an experience.

The reason I'm being a "stinker" is I want people to understand why they are expensive (lots of labor specific to Monettte's process).
    And I want people to realize that just because something is really expensive doesn't mean that it automatically makes it
    "better" for all players in an objective sense.

Trumpets are not computers or cars. A fast computer is fast regardless who uses it and a Bughatti is extremely fast (and dangerous)
    no matter who is pushing the gas to the floor.

A Monette, being a custom made horn, is made to be the best for the person who buys it.
    That doesn't mean it will be outstanding for everyone who plays it, just for the people who happen
    to play and sound very similarly to the original owner.

For everyone else it will just play like any other pro horn, IMO. Hence my statement of a Monette not
    being "magical".

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Exactly, my 6340ST is one of those horns that I like and it likes me. I dont think I will sell it unless I absolutely had to. I want to try out some more Monettes though....

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Greg,
    I don't understand your problem. I bleed red just like everybody else. The Monette is different in sound and the way that it plays. That doesn't make it magical. I do use mine more than my Bach C however because of the sound and the way it plays. I am sorry if you don't like me talking about that but don't view it as my problem. The difference between a Bach and a Monette is more than between a cornet and a trumpet - maybe a different instrument?

In my relatively no BS world, most players use standard equipment that sound and play similarly. In the symphonic world, the traditional Bach sound with lots of core is the standard. Even Schilke, Yamaha, B&S, Taylor build to that sound "concept" with certain models. Monette does not. None of his horns can be considered traditional. I describe those differences. You can agree or disagree. If the Monette were just a trumpet, there wouldn't be all the commotion. It is a philosophy and I think that is where most have their problems - especially if you don't agree with the concept. There is no objectivity in art or the tools used to create it. Some pay a fortune for an old Martin Committee - that by the way is also VERY non-standard. They enjoy what it does differently and it probably can even therefore be considered "inspirational". You don't have to understand that, but your sour grapes attitude towards Monette has come out in many posts. I don't know what is behind that but have my suspicions. Try and accept the fact that there are some of us that are in love with the horns that we bought and what we perceive that they have helped us do with our playing.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I am just challenging your statement suggesting that the unique Monette sound should make it special and somehow
    not a trumpet.

There have been lots of trumpets built that don't sound like a Bach Strad.
    Conn was really good at this, as an example.
    However, the trumpets they made that sounded different were still trumpets.

As for "sour grapes" you infer a lot, my friend.

And you also are reinforcing the stereotype that Monette owners are overly sensitive when
    people say something they don't like about the brand.

Again, its just a trumpet. Being in love with it does seem odd to me, however, bordering on hedonism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.