Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Okay, do you know how many were made to copy the Strad?

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And that Bach copied Besson?

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That they did.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

My read on "Monette are a different instrument" is that they just don't sound like a trumpet.
    Not that they're magical. Not that they're special (necessarily), but they don't have a "trumpet" sound. A schilke, shires, bach, yamaha, etc. all have a lot more in common (tone-wise) than they do with a monette.
    This can be good if it is the sound you want. If you are playing for someone else, it may or may not depending on the music, the conductor (MD), etc.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree with the above post...

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    This conversation is getting silly.

Do you actually believe someone could play a Monette as the principal trumpet of a major symphony orchestra
    if it didn't sound like a trumpet? Along side a section with non-Monettes? Get real.

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I think its more along the lines of a cornet playing with a trumpet than a trumpet playing with a trumpet.
    Same family, similar sound, but not quite the same

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, but the New York Phil SPECIFIED Yamaha or Bach C trumpets for the last position that they filled.

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not have someone with a Monette and other trumpets make a video playing them side by side?

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    That would be an interesting video.

For those of you who have not had the rare privilege, I've stood next to and in front of Manny Laureano and heard him
    play. It was awesome. When I had a lesson with him a few years back he played for me and with me using his Bb
    Monette, not sure which model. He also played on a customized Olds I was using at the time just to get an idea of what
    I was playing on.

Guess what? He sounded amazing on both! Did I notice a huge difference when he switched horns?
    Nope. He sounded like a world class principal trumpet artist of the highest degree.

You would think I'd remember more, but all I can recall he sounded awesome on
    either horn, with a bit more noticible "hiss" coming from his Monette.

I certainly didn't think he sounded like he wasn't playing a trumpet when he used his Monette.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.