Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    And suddenly.... The listing was removed........

2. csemartin

csemartin Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2010
  3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Funny, the guy also had a committee in there too for $.99. Wonder what happened to that.

Wow, never seen one of them before. When I saw the raja for the first time I was really surprised, they were custom order only.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Wow, asking $16,550 for it when a new one cost $10,900. I wonder who is wrong?

5. csemartin

Aug 9, 2010
    The STC adds 4 grand because they are using a new alloy to make the bell. I had originally thought it was copper, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is actually a bronze alloy.

The gold plating is extra. The case is extra. The mouthpieces are extra. Add all that and tax and you come up with around 20,000 and a one year wait. They originally told me 18 months when I ordered mine, but they said they could probably have it done in 11-12 monhts.

@16,550, that's not a bad deal. Plus, you can also make an offer. That price isn't set in stone. Often times, Mike is selling on commission for someone else. When I bought mine, I made an offer, Mike went back to the seller, and we finally agreed on a price that was at least a thousand less than the asking price.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Very cool, but i dont have that kind of money now. Thanks for telling me about the offers, I thought it was set in stone. I really like the Mt. Vernon they have.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have a friend that bid on the Monette, he got an email from ebay saying this:

Hello *****************,

Thank you for your interest in this listing:

250967802794 - Monette Chicago Bb Trumpet in raw brass

Unfortunately, the listing is no longer available. We can assure you that this wasn't the seller's fault in any way so, if the seller relists the item, we hope you'll consider buying it.

Hmmmmmm, kinda weird.

8. csemartin

Aug 9, 2010
    I should have mentioned earlier that Mike Thompson is a really good guy to do business with. Just over a year ago, I bought a used P3 from him. I gave him my credit card number, and he shipped the horn. I had the horn for about a week when he called me at home to ask me if it was o.k. to go ahead and bill my credit card. He wanted to make sure I was happy with the horn and that I wanted to keep it.

I am still floored to this day. He is, and will always be, my go to guy if I'm ever in the market for another used Monette.

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    The bread and butter for David Monette is his overpriced mouthpiece production. His horns are limited...therefore inflated. If he increased production nobody would care for his horns or give them the same praise.

Monette gets his artificial pricing through artificial supply. It's marketing...Big whoop. I'll take 100 Olds Ambasadors over 1 Monette Prana any day of the week.

At least I know the 100 olds horns will last much longer and take a beating. There is utilitarian and then there is art. I prefer to use my stuff. If I was ever to purchase a Monette trumpet I'd want a 50 year warranty on my valves regardless...of abuse...then I'd consider the horn.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I peronally know at least one reputable musician who would heartily disagree with that statement, provided the quality would remain the same. I have seen on Monette's vids numerous players far more qualified than me who were quite enthusiastic about their intruments. So, it seems to me that denying the uniqueness of Monette's horns and their quality as a marketing ploy is a bit of a stretch. As far as what value can be attached to it, a recent thread on that subject was closed by mods, so it is likely pointless to go there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.