Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I'd be so afraid to take one out of the house.....

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The modern Monette trumpets are designed for use with Monette mouthpieces. If you don't use a Monette mouthpiece, don't bother.
    I played one a few years back with my GR and they did not mesh well. The horn was very, very, very responsive and sounded great, but it did not perform at its best without a Monette mouthpiece in it.
    The models made years back in Chicago could handle a non-Monette mouthpiece. I once sat in a section with Matt Comerford, who spent a year as the 2nd trumpet in the Chicago Symphony. This was back in 1987 and he sounded great on his new Monette with a Bach mouthpiece.
    When Herseth was using a Monette, he asked Dave to build him a horn that was a cross between a rotary and his Bach C. Bud eventually went back to his Bach (please, spare the comments about the switch back to Bach) but did acknowledge the horn did exactly what he wanted.
    Rich T.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Its quite entertaining reading opinions on Monette trumpets.

I especially like the verbage extolling Monette's genius and the unique qualities of his instruments.

Its so orthogonal to what professional horn designers know (sans D.M. of course) that one just must
    chuckle at the overwhelming confidence people place in speculative ignorance.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I would be afraid to pick one up off the demo table, I would die a little if I dropped it......

He switched from a Monette to a Bach!!!!!
    Good brand :-)

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    No problem for me over the prices of the instruments. They are what they are, but how a mouthpiece can cost that much is a puzzle.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Greg,
    it is amazing how professional horn designers ARE taking Dave Monettes lead. Back in the early 90s when Monettes horns were getting really heavy, he was alone. Want to count how many companies now have heavier horns in the line up? Selmer, Courtois, Harrelson, Taylor, Getzen, NYTC........... Heck, even Schilke now has a HD heavier horn series......

What about scratch finish? What about weighted valve caps, sheet bracing? What about the price............ There IS a market for expensive custom horns.

The speculative ignorance is universal. We have enough players here that criticize the Strad that they have never played either.

Dave does not claim to reinvent the wheel, but he is very open about giving players other choices than they get with the Bach clones.

Definition of ORTHOGONAL

1a: intersecting or lying at right angles
    b: having perpendicular slopes or tangents at the point of intersection <orthogonal curves>
    2: having a sum of products or an integral that is zero or sometimes one under specified conditions: as
    a of real-valued functions : having the integral of the product of each pair of functions over a specific interval equal to zero
    b of vectors : having the scalar product equal to zero
    c of a square matrix : having the sum of products of corresponding elements in any two rows or any two columns equal to one if the rows or columns are the same and equal to zero otherwise : having a transpose with which the product equals the identity matrix
    3 of a linear transformation : having a matrix that is orthogonal : preserving length and distance
    4: composed of mutually orthogonal elements <an orthogonal basis of a vector space>
    5: statistically independent

I guess you mean there is a point of intersection between Monette and other instruments. I agree - up to a point ;-)

Conspicuous consumption? Maybe for some. The colleagues that I have with Monettes just play them. They make no noise about them.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Those CNC milling machines don't pay for themselves! I know some guys here can relate to the costs of tooling for a serious custom fabrication shop. (Ivan!?)

Plus you have the marketing panache.... Look what Botti did for 60 year old Martins. Wynton did the same for Monette. He could charge $20k and will keep selling as many as he wants to make.

Some serious violins have TWO commas in the price tag! Just the BOWS cost more than our trumpets!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I was a little surprised at the prices a year ago, but since then I've found my baby, the Olds Recording, I don't really care anymore.

I doubt that I'll ever buy one (who knows???), but I certainly would like to make a visit to the shop. I need a new Prana mouthpiece anyway to fit my Recording better. If you don't care about the prices, the visit will be a lot more fun. Yes, I'd like to try a few Monette trumpets out, but before I do that, I won't comment on how good they are (I have no idea).

And ditto what Jjarby said about violins. Relatively speaking, trumpet players get off easy.... My ex's was $15,000 (250 years old), and her bow cost $1500. And she is a teaching professional who didn't play in orchestras until recently. She never talked about it (I asked her) and treats it like a pro instrument, no more no less. It's insured. She won't play anything else, except for a trip to Mexico, where she took a cheap one (and a cheap bow). Of course, she eneded up sitting in with a hot Mexican jazz band (I got a great recording on a handheld digital recorder) and later said she wished she had brought her good violin.:dontknow:

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

'bout the price of an intermediate-pro bassoon.
    Glad I play trumpet.
    Surprised though that the P1C isn't in the standard line-up anymore - Manny's horn and probably my favorite horn I've ever had the opportunity to play

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    In the email I received it said that every horn is made to order, kind of like burger king except it takes up to a year to get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.