Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I know - I'm just surprised that it isn't right on the menu
    (I think I'd definitely take a monette over burger king burger:shhh:)

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I am in a band with a flute player, and I was helping him out looking at "used" flutes, some of them were 40k to 50k.... USED.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Too bad the trumpet wouldn't be on the dollar menu

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I was looking at trombone last night that barely didn't make the cut (2 days left, $1.04 current bid) :-P

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Sounds like precious metals to me .....:lol:

You can do that with flutes .... Silver and Gold makes them sound heavenly. Good for us that's not true with trumpets!:shock:

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I have always worried about whether or not, I would ever warrant one. That is, what would it do for my playing? I am not sure it would do much. Does that mean I wouldn't like to try one to see? Not on your life. But I still don't and probably won't ever have the chops to just show up there and try a couple, money aside.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The comparison of price to violins never makes any sense to me.

Desirable old violins are expensive because they sound incredible AND there are only a small number of them in existence.

Those two facts don't apply to Monette trumpets. The sound they produce is not by most players' ears clearly better than
    any other decent pro horn and their supply isn't finite. More are built every few days.

So I find the comparison pointless. They are expensive because Monette spends many more hours of labor producing
    each horn. That's it. No secret designs, materials or manufacturing steps. They just take a lot longer to make.

If people don't like that its because they are ignorant. Dave has to pay his workers so he must charge more to
    cover his costs.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aren't all trumpets made out of brass while violins are made out of wood? And that wood is cut from certain trees grown in certain places at different altitudes, only cut at certain times of the year and dryed and aged for years before they can use it? Trumpets are cut from a roll of brass which can be recycled and reused. I wouldn't compare professional violins and trumpets costs because they are different animals.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Gzent had it right. There is a limited supply of superior string instruments from the Italian masters. Their prices can only go up. The same does not apply to Monette instruments. Monette runs an artisanal operation, building high quality instruments mostly by hand, with a stringent quality control process throughout. The intrument prices reflect that.

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've yet to see or hear about a company that puts a sheet of brass and some valves/pistons into a machine and a trumpet comes out of the other end. All trumpets are mostly crafted by hands. I believe that the Monette angle is that they customly build them specifically for each player and their way or style of playing the instrument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.