Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I found this on a thread about Monette prices a few years back (2005) and thought I would share it.

XLT, LT, LTJ, STC-1 Bb -- $6100
    B993 -- $6600
    MF Prana, Prana XLT, Prana LT Bb -- $8500
    Prana 1 -- $8500
    Prana 3 or Prana 4 -- $9450
    Prana 7 -- $10,550
    Prana 900 Series Bb Cornet -- $10550
    Prana Ajna II -- $12350

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Wow, I wonder how much a mouthpiece was..........

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Monette's does claim to produce a superior trumpet that slots better and is easier to play. There is also the "customized to the player angle", too. I have no doubt all these things are true. His website and videos have done a great job at creating a mystical qulaity to the horns that evokes a strong desire to actually want one. For example, there is a video of a high school student who can miraculously hit high Cs after getting his new mouth piece. What young student or comeback player struggling with range can see this video and not start jonesing for a Monette. God Bless Dave Monette for what he has done for horns and "professional" players.

However, one of my teachers (as mentioned in other posts) is a symphonic player. When he demonstrates technique or passages, has a uses "very" beat-up high school rental that he makes sound as good as any Monette video I have every heard. The moral of the story goes back to the idea that "we" are the instrument, not the metal tube. If we want to sound better, have greater range, etc., "we" just have to learn how to use our bodies better, which costs nothing at all, other than time and effort while thinking about what you are doing. All these things I must say to myself, so I do not look at equipment as the solution to my problems. I will always have the same inadquacies no matter what tubing I use. It is all me.

BrotherBACH

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    There are more old violins (hundreds of years old) than there are Monette trumpets, I would bet. Not just Italian masters, but others as well (my ex's violin was by a famous Polish maker). They aren't that rare ....:dontknow:

I think the comparison with old violins (as to price) is just as fair as anything else.

And, just as an aside, can anyone explain why bassoons are so expensive? Is it some special wood?

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Over the years, I have played with a great many superb musicians on all instruments. Some of the CSO members and other world class players.
    IF the any chatter went to equipment, they all said they will not play an inferior instrument. All of the Chicago area trumpet pros I regularly perform with do not use any horn but the best one for them all of them use professional quality horns.
    Horns absolutely do make a difference in making the job easier or harder. If the Monette horn makes the job easier and the player can take advantage of them, why shouldn't they? Some of the folks here list a number of horns in their arsenal valued far in excess a Monette horn. So who's zoomin' who here?
    I would be willing to bet some Monette bashers have NEVER EVEN HELD ONE IN THEIR HANDS, let alone play one.
    To one willing to pay, the price is utterly irrelevant.
    Rict T.

6. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    It does make sense for a pro at the top of their game to take advantage of whatever technological developments he/she can get their hands on to make their job easier. Especially, if they can afford. I have no problems there. I just saying that gear that makes playing easier is no substute for great fundementals that make playing easier, more generally.

BrotherBACH

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The comparison to a violin is valid. Who said that a great violin or bow has to be vintage? Who said that the wood has to be the most expensive part?

Violins, like bassoons and Monettes take a lot of hours to build, they all sound best in the hands of those who get along with the respective manufacturing concepts.

Here is a comparable Violin shop to the Monette company:
    Geigenbau-Müller - Violin

You will see that the instruments are amazingly similar in price. I know the guy and even the time required to build the instruments is similar.

I am really amazed at the quantity of rubbish posted in this thread. Come on, we only have a price list here. Dave builds 6 trumpets a month for people willing to wait 12 to 18 months to get them. He is not endangering any established manufacturer and certainly does not warrant trash talking.

I will disagree with Greg. The sound that most players get when trying my Monette is clearly much different than their own Bachs, Schilkes or rotary trumpets. What sounds good or better is personal preference and not "rate-able" except to those present when the horns are played. I haven't been kicked out of a studio, symphony orchestra or big band for playing one so I guess mine is not too bad of a match for what is in my head.

BrotherBach, is it even sensible to compare playing a real trumpet to an internet video made on a hand held video recorder with built in microphone? I mean come on, how much common sense do we need here?

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Valid point. I don't argue with either the price, craftsman or the quality. I know its all in-line with what you get from Dave Monette. I go back to my original point that if a player is really good (within reason) it should not matter what they play. They will sound good. As the quality of the horn increases, of course, I expect the superior player to take advanatge of these nuances. Hobbiests like myself would probably do better to spend time not money, practicing. Would I love to have a Monette, yes. Could I afford one? Only if my wife says I can ;-)

BrotherBACH

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Best way to evaluate the elusive beast ....... Take your ears on a trip to the shop in Portland. For optimum evaluation many components need to be in the same place at the same time .... Ears, face, lungs and brain .... all collaborating on an overall impression that is live and acoustic.

Watch your N+1. Stay steady and you should be okay.:thumbsup:

Turtle

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Have you been to the Monette factory?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.