Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Never thought of it that way. Makes me feel a little better about the monette prices.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

You know it, that string offsets the balance so you have to get custom order string that may take up to 14 months to get so you can put it on the 1st valve slide too. That will give it a heavy feel so you will have to order some lightweight caps. Once you get them you will have a little scratch on the bell so you send it to get striped and re-plated. During the time it is gone you play the Bach that was in your closet and realize how good of a horn it is. When the Monette gets back you keep playing the Bach and wonder why you got a Monette in the first place.

3. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Hello, I would like to offer my personal opinion on price for what Monette offer. I also believe my opinion is completely valid as I can not even afford a Bach Stradivarius.

Hear me out with the example I am going to make.

I am into high performance vehicles. To make a car go 300kmh lets just say it costs $50,000. To make that car go 400kmh will cost you over 200,000. Most cars cost a reasonable price for reasonable/high end performance.

Point to this example is... most trumpets play beautiful for a very reasonable price. Soon you try to squeeze out that extra 5% performance more, the price doubles. Add another 1-2% and that final 2% will cost more than the previous 98%.

This is where I see Monette. Yes you can get a trumpet that plays exceptionally nice 98% good for up to 5000 dollars. Monette have achieved that last 2%. Thats where the price is now over 10 000.

Some are happy to live without that extra 2% others see the point in spending more for that extra 2% as it will go with you throughout your whole life.

I personally had I had the money, would say its totally worth it. The minute it becomes 'not worth it' is the minute someone else makes something just as good/precise/time consuming for half the price.

That's how things work in life.

On the other hand, I see things as some said here... a professional Silver flute can cost you up to $60,000. A Stein Piano, will cost over $250,000. Violins can be stupid priced to, find a Stradivarius and see what it costs. Also, how much money do you spend in your life for non-essential things, just for the sake of going out somewhere, wasting fuel to do certain things, buying new clothes though old ones are fine and so forth? Budget a little better and you will see a 10,000 dollar MONETTE is very very well priced and cheaper than what others have to deal with. Yes its over 5000+ more than other pro trumpets, but it also offers that last 2% performance that would cost more than triple in the automotive world to achieve. Here's something better, rather than spending the 300 000+ on a house, spend 15,000 less on a house you were prepared to pay and you got yourself a Monette. Don't buy your next car so soon, buy a trumpet instead and keep using the car you got that's totally fine... people just don't think and then say somethings too expensive. It isn't, its how you use your money.

If you can live without the Monette sound, great. Me personally, I want the best there is, and I am willing to work hard, save, budget, and buy the Best. Its a 1 off investment and stays with you your whole life. Not expensive at all given the above.

I have spoken to people that say they would rather have 3-4 pro trumpets for the price of one Monette. My reply to those people is, 'yeah but why would I want 4 trumpets that are not as good as a one monette?", to me '1' worse instrument (so called) is enough, I dont need FOUR! of them. But thats me, I also have no need for 4 trumpets as the way I play, 1 trumpet is all I will ever need. So for the price of everyone else's 4 instruments that they need I got 1 monette that I need. If you needed 4-5 and you wanted monettes... well, that would make sense why its a little hard. So everyones situation is different and thus to say its too expensive is stupid considering nobody makes what they do, so the 'price' is not comparable to anything else.

They are my thoughts. I want a Monette trumpet in the future and I would love to buy a Monette Cornet for my wife. I believe they are the Steinway of trumpets and Stradivarius' of Violins for hundreds of thousands of dollars less.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    tedh1951 likes this.
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I see it a bit differently.

We cannot quantify "performance" of a trumpet. We do not get range, endurance or dynamics for the dollar. That is why price is such a stupid comparison.

What we get with a Monette, Rolex, Lamborghini, high-end wine or audio is the opportunity to buy into someone elses dream. For those that do not dream, there are hundreds of arguments that try to second guess the artisan. They really do not understand what the deal is.

For the bean counters: Dave has around 10 employees and they build 6 horns a month, have real R&D and travel to hear their clients play. All responsible, American, small business practices. 6 horns x $12000.00 plus some mouthpiece business, subtract rent, wages, benefits, heat (in Oregon)/light, materials and you don't see the stuff that billionaires are made of. I just don't understand why there is such a fuss about Monettes prices.

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have made an appointment to visit the Monette factory in late September for my birthday, so I can see and understand what all the fuss is about. I must admidt that I am fascinated by it all. David Monette is the Vincent Bach of our generation and I want the opportunity to meet and talk with him.

BrotherBACH

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is super cool. I want to go there sometime and just have fun for a few hours.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    So will BrotherBACH turn into BrotherMONETTE ? :D

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    This is simple, and I do mean simple economics: Demand creates supply. Where there is greater demand than supply there is scarcity. When a high-demand commodity is scarce, price increases. End of lesson. Monette can sell every instrument they craft, justifying their pricing. Dave Monette's business is a true success story.:thumbsup:

Now, if the moderators will only add a smilie for "beating a dead horse..."

9. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Well said. There is no 'what should or shouldn't' it cost. It costs what it costs just like a Lamborghini costs 500,000 even though it has wheels and an engine like a 30,000 dollar car. And nobody can tell me the aluminium in the lamborghini costs more than the aluminium in a 30,000 dollar car. Alloy is Alloy.

So its simple, the dream car, the dream horn, they demand dream prices which separate them from your 'every day' thing that does not mean much as it is common.

Rowuk, you are right though, price does not determine range, endurance, dynamics or even the ability to play. Its simply the dream, having something somebody else does not and having that feeling inside 'wow, I actually got a Monette'. To me that 'wow' factor would impact the playing because your entire mindset is different to 'yeah its a trumpet big deal'. Playing on something that just makes a person feel incredible they even got the chance to own something like that, will be heard through the horn as you play given its an extension of not just the breath but the emotions going on behind it.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    [Rowuk, you are right though, price does not determine range, endurance, dynamics or even the ability to play. Its simply the dream, having something somebody else does not and having that feeling inside 'wow, I actually got a Monette'. To me that 'wow' factor would impact the playing because your entire mindset is different to 'yeah its a trumpet big deal'. Playing on something that just makes a person feel incredible they even got the chance to own something like that, will be heard through the horn as you play given its an extension of not just the breath but the emotions going on behind it.[/QUOTE]

The "WOW" factor was very evident when I visited the Eclipse factory three years ago, since receiving the MS in bright gold plate I feel I have lifted my playing to a new level, or perhaps I have the incentive to practice more.

Regards, Stuart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.