Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It isn't "wow", I actually have a Monette. That is what I have been trying to say the whole time. I pull the horn out of the case and make music not Monette. After I am done making music, I can reflect on not having to mess with sound, slots or intonation perhaps, but I don't even do that. Each of the horns that I own has a specific purpose, a niche where it fits. None of the horns posesses a "coolness" factor over the others.

The newly rich generally have a need to show their new house, new car, new boat, new wife, new trumpet. Those that truly are one with their "fortune" just do the job in a humble way. ANY new horn increases motivation - until reality catches up. It is no different with a Monette. The horn does not get me additional jobs. I still have to practice more than the rest if I want to keep my reputation.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Rowuk, was there a special reason you got a Monette? Like you thought it would be good or you tried one. Just curious.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Three things that seem obvious to me ....

1. There is no requirement for a pro to own one of these Monettes, you won't get more jobs with it than without it (as Rowuk has pointed out). You don't need one, no matter who you are. There is not a single job that says, "You get the job if you bring the Monette".:dontknow: Doesn't happen. You don't need one. Miles didn't need one, Diz, Louis, or anyone else on those short lists.

2. If Monette wanted to "cash in" and make a fortune on their product, they would do what other corporations do all the time to cash in on their names .... They would produce other lines of trumpets ..... Another one that took less hours to make than their topline horns and another line from a factory in Taiwan or China. With their name on these more affordable products, they'd probably make a fortune.

3. They must be good because you can't find them used. They get bought, they don't get resold. (Okay, for you anal people, yes, once in a while you can find one used :-P, I'm trying to make a point).

Also, I don't really think they're that expensive or time consuming to make .... Consider the Steinway Grand Piano. It takes a full year for a team to build one of those and they cost roughly $150,000. If you're a piano player, you don't need one of these either.

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I get your point TJ. I made this thread to show the prices, not to start this, well, I think I saw it coming.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

It's inevitable. It's human nature to want something you can't afford (or even find). There's something about it, when the subject is trumpets, that makes you think, or rather an idea gets built up in your mind, that, with a Monette everything (that was hard about trumpet) would suddenly be easy. When they are so rare, they take on mythical proportions.

It's a nice, thoughtful, considered post from me above, isn't it? I still want one!:lol:ROFL:-P

Turtle

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Just like I want a lambo, but im not going to get one. Im probably too tall to sit in one.

Gotta ask, why did you get a Monette mouthpiece? Did you think it would be good or did you just like it?

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is why they made the Monette 6 mouthpiece. The entry level mouthpiece.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I was intrigued and I just wanted to try it out. I bought it off a TM member, it's the one Wynton played (or still plays) so it's popular, and would be a very easy re-sell. So, I figured, why not try one out? I'm still playing it. And NOT because it's a Monette, or because I believe I'm getting help from better technology and design, (I do think I'm getting help from it), but because I like the way it sounds on my trumpets ..... to my ears, better than any of my other mps (and I have a few).

Better sound is always what I want.

Turtle

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Good point, try a Taylor Trumpet.

In reality, I dont want a Monette trumpet, just a mouthpiece. I have no need or want for one, rather have a NY Bach Strad.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    When you're talking high end trumpets, the Monette mouthpieces are very reasonable. Just don't go on an extended safari with Monettes. Try to get the right one for you on the first go ..... If I was going to order a new MP, I'd call them and talk about the details and let the Monette people help me make a choice.

Turtle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.