Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have had quite a few emails with Jason, Daves email guy. He has told the good and the bad of the mouthpieces and we think a B2 would be the way to go.

Can you tell a big difference between the normal ones and a Prana?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I played a couple and they found me - just like every other horn that I have. I really liked the way that they played and thought that it would be complementary to what I already had.

I have to say that when someone shows up with a fancy horn, my expectations of THEIR playing are pretty high. It is amazing how many players have more money than talent............

The biggest laugh was a guy here that showed up with three Monettes in one case for a rehearsal. We started to rehearse and he asked me if I wanted to try his horns. I said maybe in the break if his playing showed me that they were worth anything.......

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I would expect a player with a Monette to be pretty good.

But I think 3 Monettes is a little to excessive. Maybe a Bb and C if you like them and they like you, but 3, no.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I have not tried the Monette B2 (non Prana), or any other Monette ..... just the Prana B2S3 for me. However, my teacher plays on a Monette B2 non-Prana for his symphony job. He's the first trumpet and personnel director for the Rogue Valley Symphony and he loves his B2s on the Mt. Vernon Bachs he uses. I can tell you from first hand experience, the B2 on a Mt. Vernon Bb Bach, with somebody like him playing it, is LOUD. You can hear him practice on the first floor when he's in his office up on the 2nd floor. It's also the biggest, richest and most complicated trumpet sound (when you're IN the office :lol:) that I've ever heard.

I think the non-Pranas may be more forgiving.

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  5. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    I got a B2S3 classic mouthpiece. The sound is phenomenal. It actually has a bigger sound than my Bach 1. What I noticed was that the actual hole in the cup of the Monette is slightly larger than Bach mouthpieces. So though the B2S3 is a smaller diameter rim/cup, it provides a bigger sound because the actual hole is larger, thus more air can go through it. Not sure if others noticed this, but I did and I am sure the hole is a touch bigger than other mouthpiece manufacturers.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You expect wrongly. Having money does not mean that you can play. I just say that a Monette player has no bonus in my book. They all bleed red, just like me.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The B2S3 is NOT a classical mouthpiece. It is just a fairly large mouthpiece. Wynton has been playing the B2 forever and most of his concerts are not classical............. I play a lot of shows and commercial stuff with a B2D (D for "deep"). There is NO SUCH THING AS A JAZZ MOUTHPIECE.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I know that having a Monette doesnt make you any better than with a Bundy. I meant that I feel that if a player has a Monette trumpet then I dont think they will be bad. Since they invested all that money I would think that they enjoy trumpet and that they are good.

9. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks Rowuk.

I did not mean it is a 'classical' mouthpiece. I meant it is the classic one, not the Prana version which costs extra $200 or so.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, I now know NEVER to play one in case it results in me just having to pine for one. The good news is my ability is under the horns I have. I am quite happy with my Kanstuls -well built, and probably easily adequate for all but the one percent of the one percent. Thanks for posting the prices. I'm going to show that to my wife who is giving me an evil eye for buying a Kanstul 1525 last night. "See , how much money I saved us, Honey???" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.