Monette Prices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by codyb226, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I agree with them -while the horn doesn't make the player, it can make it much easier on the player. Just for my own knowledge and curiosity, would you mind sharing what they are playing? Thanks.

2. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    To me it seems those who never played a Monette and bash it for price are more or less playing with their... :whistle:

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Seriously, its just a trumpet, not a magic amulet.

I've played a couple, also played some other expensive horns. They all have their appeal. None of them put a "spell" on me.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Guess you havent played a Taylor yet....ROFL

5. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Considering I've owned a wide variety of horns including a Monette P3, I thought I might be able to shed some light on this subject. First, I'm decent (not fantastic) amateur player, so keep that in mind. I've owned a wide variety of horns over the years (King Sliver Flair, multitude of Bachs, Kanstul, Getzen, Schilkes, Eclipse, LA Benge, Burbank Benge, Yamaha, etc. etc. I ordered my Monette P3 new, and played it for about 2 years. The pros: huge sound that fills a big space, responsiveness (for a horn of significant mass), intonation, pretty good valves, flexibility, decent articulation, and uniqueness. The cons...well that gets into why I ended up selling it. I found that after a few years, I just started going back to my really good late 70's era Bach. It's like the Monette isn't really a trumpet, it's its own thing. It lacked zing and excitement for me. It became sort of boring. A few other things: I had a nationally respected brass guy take a look at it (had a valve that was sticking and didn't feel like sending it back to Monette), and he commented on how the finishing work (removal of extra solder at the joints etc.) was pretty average. He wasn't impressed. The gold plating seemed really thin too. Also, the horns are soft (brass alloy). In fact, when I'd grip it too tightly around the slide rings (okay, Dave M is correct...one SHOULD relax when going above high C), the 1st valve would actually stick. So, net net. They are very interesting horns. Very big sound, but very different from what I consider to be a true trumpet experience. I think Dave is doing some really cool work, and he's a marketing genius. I believe the extraordinary cost of the horns is do to: Dave's ability to create a mystique around the horns, a high amount of overhead (lots of hand work, prototype development), and...well, I think Dave doing very well. This is by no means a criticism of Dave's organization or work. They are to be admired and respected as a TOTAL American success story.

6. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    from my experience, the mouthpieces are wort it. my B3S3 has taught me to play more relaxed in general, while giving me the ease of playing and intonation; and the closest sound to the one that i have in my head.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Thanks for that dcbrown1, something I didnt know about Monettes. I will be getting a Monette mouthpiece soon and I think I am going to love it. I cant wait!

8. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    you're going to love it man! it makes playing a lot easier. what size are you getting?

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I agree Rowuk. We shouldn't fuss about Monette prices...I think we ought to do a group buy...Say 50 members of Trumpet Master forum pool resources together...buy a Monette and send it china...I bet they can clone Dave's horn for 1,200$

Perhaps Taiwan since they also have amazing CNC/industrial skills. LOL...We could market the horn for 3,000$ and call it Moanette

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    B2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.