Monette question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 19, 2007.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey

I was just wondering how many of you out there play on Monettes? If so, do you use the mouthpiece that is supposed to be played on that specific horn? How many out there use a mouthpiece that is NOT a Monette?

I have been given an old Chicago Monette (serial# 773 or is that the model? does annyone know?) and I am currently using a GR 66 (Chase Sanborn).

Since I've only had this horn for a day, does anyone out there know what I should be looking at in terms of a trial period? I play in a section of 5 (a Marchinkovich (sp?), a Bach, a Wild Thing, a Yamaha (Bobby Shew) so as you can see we do a good job of blending.
    I hear they are inconsistent?

Thanks for the Monette info.

Cheers
    Eric

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  2. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    The monettes I have played on play much better with a monette mouthpiece in the proper key.

Call the shop, I'm sure they would be willing to help you out.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Eric,

I'm pretty sure Monette built horns before he started making mouthpieces, so the earliest Monettes would have been played with non-Monette mouthpieces. I'm guessing that by 773 he was probably making mouthpieces, so you might be better off with a Monette mouthpiece.

How heavy is the instrument? I've found that having the correct mouthpiece is much more important with heavier instruments. I have a C997 (heavyweight) and I find it almost unplayable with a "conventional" weight mouthpiece. On the other hand, I have been playing my roomate's old STC (lighter weight) instrument with an STC-1 (standard weight) mouthpiece and it works great.

Hope this is at least moderately helpful. As 40cal said, just call the shop. Those guys are amazingly helpful.

-Jimi

PS. Change and adjust your O-rings. Monette will send you replacements and should be able to help you figure out the right amount of tension...

4. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    PS. Change and adjust your O-rings. Monette will send you replacements and should be able to help you figure out the right amount of tension...

Sorry to reveal my ignorance but could you explain the issues of O-rings and tension? I have seen the rings and have them on my Taylor but never really thought about them.

Thanks

Walter

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The advantages of a Monette mouthpiece have little to do with the horn, so your GR in the relatively light Chicago Monette will work fine to play test it.
    Monette mouthpieces are considerably different from conventional mouthpieces and a quick switch just to try the horn will probably not tell you anything.
    If you have time to get used to the Monette mouthpiece first, then you will be able to coax even more out of the horn.

The deal on the O-rings is simple, it allows you to selectively couple the mass of the valve cap to the valve. This changes the "resonance" of the trumpet and can change intonation and slotting. O-rings only make sense on trumpets designed for this additional weight. Just adding heavy valve caps and O-rings will change your horn, my experience is often not for the better.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Good luck with your new trumpet, I love mine.

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    sorry that last sentence was a little strange, I'll admit. What I meant was, some people will say that Monette's might not blend well in a section. I was just listing off what the others guys at work play. We all blend very well so it might not be an issue. I was just wondering how many people out there use a monette in a section of non-monette players.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    If you remember these general rules of thumb it will explain everything:

When a player sounds bad or out of place playing a Monette, it's the horn.
    When a player sounds bad or out of place playing any other make instrument, it's the player.

When a player on a Monette sounds good they will "sound good playing anything".

When a player on any other make sounds good it's because of what horn they're playing.

That about sums up the conventional "wisdom".

ML

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If you hadn't said this Manny; I was about to....

Eric,

I can't speak for their horns but I do know that for me at least their mouthpieces make all the difference in the world.

You do have to take time to adjust to them. It took me about 2 1/2 weeks to adjust to my Monette B4S mouthpiece from a Bach 3C.

Once adjusted the results were worth their weight in gold.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I will answer because Manny was a little cynical. :-)

On your trumpet in your section I would be surprised if you notice anything.

The idea of blend comes from being able to project more on some of the other or newer models. The Monette trumpet will let you do more of what you can already do. If you are a strong player you can overpower a section.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007