Monette question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Because when I just shrink their ears they are too small to find?

I had the impression that the thread was getting away from the original mouthpiece question, so I answered the original question and commented to the general shape the thread was heading into, which fits into the famed "trumpeter voodoo" category.

2. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota

:dontknow:

3. michael shanks

michael shanks New Friend

Jan 12, 2007
    I dont play on a monette but Im trying to get a stc-b2 mouthpiece they say it locks on to your lips and helps you have a higher pitch is this true? another thing is it allows you to get to the high notes with out them cracking if any one has this mouthpiece
    Im looking for one.If anyone can give me a little more info about the mouthpiece

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, they have a higher pitch center provided you're an efficient, loose player. People who play tight don't generally like it. They'll help you in the upper register relative to your ability to hear pitches properly and your ability to let it go and let it happen.

It's just a tool... you have to bring something to it to make it work.

ML

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have played the B2 since 1997. Manny is 100% right, you have to bring something to make it work. That something is the will to let go of body tension.
    My range did not go up a fifth right after buying it and it took me a while to get used to it as I did have some bad habits. These mouthpieces are much different than other brands and take some getting used to - in a positive way! After 6 months of use, I tried my old mouthpieces again and discovered why the move to Monette was a very smart decision - better intonation and sound and projection, more security all with less strain!
    The first two weeks I would not have called it a "miracle" but after 6 months for sure! I didn't think I was missing anything before, that experiment proved how big the difference is. The gold plate "feels" very good - but doesn't seem to "lock" on to my lips - whatever that means. High notes are much less work now.
    I used a Bach 1C-Schmitt backbore and a Schilke 18 before the switch.

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I totally agree with Manny! If there were a mouthpiece that did all the work for you then we wouldnt be having this discussion because everyone would be using it.

FYI - I was given an older Monette mp to try (B4) with the Monette horn (just to see if there is any difference between that and my GR). There is a slight difference I find. The tuning is a little better. But either way, if I were to keep using this horn, I would use it for Symphonic section work only. I would not use it for Lead jazz stuff. I'll keep my Xeno for that! It lets loose so much more than the monette (esp. in the extreme upper register).

just keeping you up to date with the original post.
    Eric

7. John FOWLER

John FOWLER New Friend

Jan 22, 2007
    Gee - my eyes cross when I read all this stuff and hardly understand anything.

I'm an old hack from Down Under and bought a Yamaha trumpet, "James Morrison" model, about ten years ago and have played it, with its mouthpiece, ever since. I'm satisfied because I know nothing better.

I play "Principal Trumpet" in out local city orchestra (classical), barely competantly, and our 3rd. trumpet player recently lashed out and bought himself a fancy Schilke trumpet.

What I would like to ask you professional gentlemen is this ... what trumpet would you recommend me to buy (because if a "better" trumpet will assist my playing I would seriously consider.)

I hear talk about The Wild Thing, Monette, Schilke and others; and, since the other night, I've never seen one of these "fancy" trumpets.

Ha - I still play my old (nearly black) Boosey & Hawkes NVA cornet in the brass band that must be 80 years old - and I love it.

Anyway - I wait, with deep anticipation, for your advice.

Chook

8. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    Chook,

Get out to some music stores and try everything you can.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...unless you find one with a satin-gold finish! :)

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I agree with try some different things but I don't agree with don't fix it if it's not broke.

Ask the third guy if you can try his trumpet and that will give you an
    indication if your trumpet is holding you back.

When you try some trumpets at a store take your trumpet with you and compare and bring a friend to listen.

Then you will know what to do.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi John Fowler,
    welcome to TM.
    You will quickly find out that instrument preferences are as great as the number of instruments available.
    Good equipment is always critical for doing a good job, regardless if you are making music or building houses.
    There is a lot of "discussion" about what is optimum. Some say buy what works for you, I find that response not adequate as you have to get used to any change that you make and that takes time! You only know after the fact if the decision was good!
    The easiest way is to check out what successful people in your situation(amateur, semi-pro, pro) do, and collect as much information as you can. Then get help from a local pro to make the final decision.
    I firmly believe that a professional instrument gives excellent results - regardless of brand. A custom made trumpet CAN give you better results if you practice enough to make the investment musically worthwhile. Play testing in a store does not simulate what happens in a concert environment.
    If the valves are tight, a used instrument in good shape can be a great investment.
    As far as your eyes crossing, the more you experience - and then share with other people, the more you learn. TM is a great venue for this - jump in!