Monette question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 19, 2007.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi John, welcome from a fellow Aussie. How many people here know what a 'chook' is?

I guess we're a bit away from the Monette things but I just wanted to say that my experience in buying trumpets pretty much mirror's Ron's advice. You can waste a lot of time and effort buying what you 'think' you want after playing it in a store for 15 minutes. Taking advice from a player that you respect and trusting his ears and knowledge will ultimately save you a lot of time, effort and money. In my case, I didn't realise that I needed to make changes in my playing to get appreciably better and the appropriate equipment changes forced me to do that...for the better.

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. John FOWLER

John FOWLER New Friend

Jan 22, 2007
    Thank you BflatAnklan, B15M, Rowuk and CamelBrass for your consiered replies and advice.

Rowuk's Comment, "I firmly believe that a professional instrument gives excellent results", endorses my plea for advice from you professionals.

One of the problems here, of course, is that we are REALLY in the backwoods and Coffs Harbour, although a city, is a l o n g way from where professional musicians work, particularly brass, notwithstanding the fact that there are a handfull of top trumpet players in Australia.

But I don't know any of them - and I highly value this wonderful opportunity of being able to seek advice from what appear to me to be some very kind and gentlemen trumpet-players on the web.

Trevor - what the heck are you doing in Dubai, UAE? Skiing down the ski-slope???

Ha - for the uninitiated ... "Chook" is Aussie for "fowl" (as in Fowler, my surname). A sheila is slang for "girl" ("Wow - look at that beaut sheila!")

Did I explain that OK, Trev?

Back to trumpets - I suppose that what I am looking for is an explicit recommendation ... something like - If you've got loads of dough get a Monette, otherwise the most cost-effective could be a WildThing (or whatever). You know - something like that.

Cheers,

Chook

3. camelbrass

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi mate,

Actually I had a beer in a bar (appropriately called 'Apres') last night at the foot of the ski slope watching those intrepid souls doing there thing. It's absolutely surreal..made even more bizarre because it's actually inside a shopping mall.

John, I'm not an expert but I'm not a fool and I listen when guys I respect and trust tell me what they think. Once you have a professional trumpet (like the Yamaha) that is mechanically sound, suits the playing you do and made well the greatest improvement you are liklely to make to the system is to yourself. Once you can bring a very competent package as a player to the table then Monettes and Wild Things become more important. I don't think anybody is going to give you an explicit recommendation..the whole process is just too personal.

That was, of course, the considered sensible answer. What everybody wants to hear is 'go ahead get a Monette, why not?' and indeed 'why not?' if you've got the dosh but it's not necessary to improve.

Have fun and regards,

Trevor

PS I've jst read my earlier post and it looks like I've contradicted myself so I'll explain my logic. I jumped way too early into a very large bore 'boutique' trumpet without having done my apprenticeship. It was intoxicating and it could take all the air I could give it but just didn't work for me in the real world of having to play 'music' with all it's apparent boundaries that needed control rather than volume. I actually went 'backwards' from a $4000 beast to a mass produced ml professional trumpet and never looked back. Would I love to try out a Monette?.absolutely.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Chook,

let me be the first to say , "Get a Monette"

I am a come back player and pretty good. I like to say that I'm the best of the armatures. Better then most of the guys that are part time but not as good as the guys that do it every day for a living. (gals too)

I played a Bach for a long time and needed a new trumpet. My Bach has never had valve work and has some pitting on the lead pipe. I was never happy with that trumpet anyway so I had my mind set to get a new one.
    I did a lot of reading, mostly on TH. This place wasn't here yet. I settled on Monette because I wanted to know that if I had a problem with my playing, it was me and not the trumpet. I had enough money to get what ever I wanted so that wasn't a factor. I could have bought the most expensive trumpet they had.

After a year wait and working with Tom and Dean at the factory trying to get the right mouthpiece I went to the factory and tried some trumpets. They had a lot of different models from light to heavy. I picked medium.

So, That's how it worked for me. I'm not a pro but I love to play and I make some money doing it on the side. My playing has improved greatly since I got my trumpet. I never tried Kanstul or Wild thing or Shilke. They all might have done the same job but, that is unknown and really isn't a factor. I'm happy with my purchase and I still think I have the best.

There you go; A straight forward answer to your question. Get a Monette and tell them I sent you.

Joe Spitzer
    Monroe Ct.

5. John FOWLER

John FOWLER New Friend

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks for that, Trev - appreciated. How I'd love to have a "cleansing ale" with you right at this moment. I worked for the UN in Vienna for twelve wonderful years and fell in love with the country and its people ... what's it like in Dubai? QUITE different from Vienna, eh!

One of the fellows, here, stated the logical "a good player can make an ordinary instrument sound good; but a bad player makes an excellent instrument sound bad." (something like that - but the logic is there) and I really relate to that. I also relate to an excellent tennis coach, I once knew, who always urged his students to buy the very best tennis racket they could afford - because the focus then was on the player, not the limits of his instrument.

I, like another here, am a come-back player and have reached a plateau that I am finding very difficult to break through. Another two or three good notes higher would satisfy me - and the more I practice lip-slirrs etc the more horses-arse my chops seem to get. So I am diverting, for the moment - "Maybe a better instrument and mouthpiece may work the magic." If it doesn't - then I'm "rats" back to MYSELF and whinging "What exercise can I do toi improve range?"

You know?

Life isn't worth living if we cease from triving to improve to the utmost whatever we do - maximising our investments, playing tennis, singing with our trumpet ...

And thanks for Joe's advice - "Go and get yourself a bloody Monette!" Thanks, mate!

6. John FOWLER

John FOWLER New Friend

Jan 22, 2007
    I was poking around the web looking for Monete trumpet pricings, and Google dumped me into a forum, one of the lad's remarking:

"The price is too high and certainly not necessary.
    let me try and explain to all of you guys a little thing on monnete trumpets.
    dave monette wanted to build a trumpet with a darker and focued sound, so he build a heavier trumpet (using special materials), but that resulted in a very "small" sound. so he expand the trumpet bore from 460' to 470' to adjust the sound as well.
    the outcome was an XXXL trumpet with darker sound.
    untill then, big bores like that were rare.
    just for comparison...Bach manufactured a large bore trumpet (462') but nobody want to play those trumpets because it takes too much air...with monette the standard was 470' and nobody was complaining about the air amount needed.
    several years ago monette decided to build a lightweight trumpets and just then people started to understand that the monette concept was just bullshit.
    the lightweight trumpets were horrible!
    so...what are monette trumpets good for?
    well..for some players there is a big advantage in playing those trumpets.
    monette trumpets allow playrs with no focus of sound to play much more focused, and for that people are willing to pay a lot of money!!"

Charming!

I'm still looking for prices ...... (I need that beer, Trev!)

Chook

7. camelbrass

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi Chook,

Tell me what your brew is and I'll have it waiting...oh, and bring your skis!! Direct comparisons between Dubai and Vienna are almost impossible...both nice places but oh so different.

There are a lot of bitter and twisted people out there...I have trouble working out why. The thing is the real world doesn't support it...too many good players who use them. Listen to Manny's clips on their website if that's dull and 'dark' (whatever that means) my ears need an overhaul. Actually my favourite sound on that whole clip is Urban Agnas, with apologies to ML. I'm sure you can send them an e-mail for a price list. I know they're expensive but if they fit then they're cheap. You're problem, like mine, is getting access to anything that isn't a mass offering, even if you take the train to the 'smoke.

If you think you're bringing sufficient to the table go for it.

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't know why they would write that. I don't know if any of it is true. Never mind most of it being BS.

9. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    right...Pat Hession only has a focused sound because he plays on a Monette.

HA HA HA!

10. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    You can call the shop and they will tell you prices, they will also send you an info packet that has pricing for the horns.