Monette shop repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugleboy21, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    Manny,

"Monette C Trumpet in Raw Brass SN: 236. This trumpet was built before Monette had model designations. The bell has dents at the end of the flare, and the end of the bell is slightly creased."

I love the way I sound on Jack Laumer's horn (SN: 1X-sh), Do you know if these models are from the same era? Also, are these blemishes something that Dave can fix? Please reference the link below for a view of the horn. Thanks!

http://thompsonmusic.com/store/product1724.html

Larry Dean

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Larry,

Well, it's clearly a Chicago horn and, yes, just before the various models or right around the time they were starting to differentiate horns.

I've seen the boys at the shop work miracles with those horns, worse than that. My GUESS is they could get it looking pretty nice. Dan Haswell has worked on mine and they always look and sound great.

ML

3. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    Thanks for the info! Back to tktk, tktk, tktk, tktk......whew!

Larry

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey Larry,

Of course Manny's right about the work that the guys in the shop do, but there are a couple of other things you might want to consider:

a) Price-Yes, they do great work, but it's also incredibly expensive. If you send it in to the shop, they're going to get it looking and playing great, but you might not like what you see when you get the bill. I say this mainly because there are two other Chicago horns on there within $1,000 of the one you're looking at and, after repairs, could very well end up being cheaper. (I had some minor work done and got my horn cleaned/adjusted and the bill came to somewhere around $400 after a small discount)

b) Time-About a year ago I sent my C997 in for some minor repairs, a cleaning and an adjustment. It took about two months. The work you're going to need done on that horn is much more signifigant than what I had to have done, especially if the pistons need to be rebuilt.

This has been my experience. If I were you, I'd take a look at some of the slightly more expensive horns. It might end up saving you time and money in the long run.

Hope this helps,
    Jimi

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  5. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I really must echo what jmichiel has said.

I had a 2000LT C trumpet that I sold to Mike Thompson that the post office damaged in shipping. The trumpet was at the shop for almost 9 months before Mike got it.

I know that the folks at Monette are great at what they do, and I enjoyed working with them while I was a client, but their repair department is incredibly slow. I'm sure this has mostly to do with them focusing on building horns, rather than repairing them.

Another thing about the bell is this: My old teacher is the original owner of the C trumpet that is serial number 72. He sent it in to have the pistons replaced, and Monette was adamant about putting a new bell on the horn, even though there was nothing wrong with it. He felt that it should just be updated. So if you send that horn in, he may want to put an entirely new bell on it rather than repair it, which will cost much more, as well as take a lot more time.

Just some things to think about. You'd be best off buying a used horn that isn't in need of repair. Call Mike Thompson, he can probably find you one, or help you out...he's a great guy!

Louie

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here's my two cents. Email the picture to Dave and ask him.

I was going to buy a used C trumpet and I called and asked. I didn't get the trumpet based on what they said about that horn.

My point is that there is no need to guess.

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    edited

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here's a confession,

I was afraid of Dave for a long time because of all the crap I read about him on these boards. Every time I do talk with him he is always polite and professional.

To think he would be mad about a picture on the internet is ridicules.
    Dave is a business man with great customer service. Part of that is helping with his older trumpets.

9. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    edited

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  10. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    I just played almost all of those older Monette C trumpets at Mike Thompson's store in Omaha this weekend.

They all play great, but if you are considering repairs - check out the other old Chicago horns. Those horns don't seem to need any repairs and played great.