Monette string

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 22, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    One thing that has bothered me about my Monette trumpet is the string on the third valve slide. I don't mind the idea of having the string there it works ok when it's new.

The problem is when it starts to ware out. After about a week or so the string stretches. No big deal I just tie it tighter. One time at a rehearsal it broke and I didn't have more with me. I was nervous for the rest of the night.

Well seeing how much I love Monette you know I wouldn't have posted this unless I had a cure.

I went to the local craft store and told them about my trumpet and the problem and they sold me some stretchy plastic string used to make necklaces. I have had this on my B flat for about three months now and it has no signs of ware or stretching. I have to take it off because it is time to wash the trumpet.

The string is called: Super Stretchy Elasticity Bead Cord. Made by Beadalon. Diameter 0.8mm or .032".

http://www.beadalon.com/supplemax.html

If anyone knows why I shouldn't use this stuff please tell me. I think it's great.

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Blow your horn and forget about the string!!!!!

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Why are you guys being mean?

Did I do something to offend you?

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    B15M,
    Man, tension in the air around here... RE your post, thats actually very helpful. For those of you that don't know, Monette instruments do not come with mechanisms to stop third slide from falling off. I guess if it doesn't effect the sound, get rid of it. B, I've had the same problems. Sounds like you came up with a good solution. I might take a look...
    -Jimi

PS. 22925H-Monette is good about that sort of thing. They send me O-rings, slide grease, etc when I run out and have never charged me.

5. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

They send you special slide grease??? Wow, talk about service after the sale.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Actually they do. On my prana C they have a special grease for the main slide. It makes the slide fit very tightly.

And again: maybe it's not me, maybe it's Monette. If you don't like me or the trumpet don't beat around the bush just say it. I can take it or explain what ever you need to know.

To just throw out one liners just shows something about you.

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Can some one help me on what the string is about? :shock:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Keeps the 3rd from falling onto the floor.

9. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    This may sound like a stupid question, but why on Earth does a Monette trumpet not have a mechanism for preventing the third valve slde from falling out? I mean, considering what they say about how much even a small ding can affect the horn's response I would have thought it a necessity. Considering how much one of these trumpets costs, a bit of string seems.............wrong somehow.

10. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    why didn,t they just add a gold chain for the price?