Monette string

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 22, 2005.

1. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here is a picture of it. But this Monette has a screw as well....

[​IMG]

2. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Ok badwolf< thanks for the pic!

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    (It is used when extending the slide for a low G.... you could think of it as a Monette G-string) ROFL

Actually, it is a pretty elegant solution when you want nothing extraneous on the horn that might upset the vibration pattern.

4. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    looks like Monette floss string.

5. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    G-string that,s pretty good! :lol:

6. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hey i didnt mean anything,i was just being funny.
    I think im gonna talk to felix about making a smigity-smack stage 1 model.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The idea is that the valves all have to be equal. When you press number one it should feel the same as when you press number three.

The problem is that there is more tubing on number three.
    More tubing = more mass.

Putting a third slide stop would make the problem worse.
    Putting a stretchy string on the slide works as a stop and lets you empty water without adding mass.

8. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Thanks for the info B15m!
    as alway,s peace!

9. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

B15M,

Yeah, I suppose it read a lot like a one-liner, but I really didn’t mean for it to be. I am genuinely and continually impressed with the little things Monette does, and this is a good example.

Here is an opposite example-
    Many of my students’ Bach Strad’s third slide has been dinged up pretty fierce because the owner has lost both of the stop screws that come with the horn. These screws probably cost Bach pennies to make, but they will charge you many times more than that to replace them. If Bach were more like Monette, they would either change the design so they don’t have a tendency to vibrate when loose and fall off, or they would provide a free replacement. Of course they do neither.

Yeah, ok, I do kind of chuckle that they say you need a special slide grease for your horn. But whatever one’s opinion about Monette, the fact that they send it to you when you ask for it for free is [email protected] impressive.

We cool?

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Very well articulated...

22925H-

Monettes are designed to be even throughout. If one slide has more mass, even by a little bit, that could change the response and/or resonance of the horn when that specific valve is used. Dave is very, very detailed oriented. And he has a great ear, the kind of ear that can hear grass grow, if you will. I think one of the main reasons why the horns cost so much is because of all the research and developement Dave does. Like a great musician, everything Dave does in his work is intentional. I wouldn't be surprised if he agonized for months about whether to add a third slide stop to his instruments.

-Jimi

PS The above is just my opinion on instruments I like very much. I'll be the first to admit that the majority of the great trumpet players we all admire don't play Monette and still sounded great (Bud, Miles, Vacchiano, Louis Armstrong, etc...)