Monette string

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 22, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When your playing you want all of the valves to react the same.

I just picked up my Bach and played a little,
    When I push number one valve there is a little different resistance then number two. The sound changes a little also. When you play the trumpet all the time you get used to it.

I picked up my Monette and played the same stuff and each note feels the same and I get the same sound. When you use combinations of valves I guess something has to give up but it feels all the same to me.

I am not a trumpet expert. I'm sure there is someone on here that can explain it better. This is the general idea though.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I bought my trumpet I asked for a stop on the third slide and they said "no".

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    22925H-

A little off the topic, but there is a famous 1983 Jazz Times interview with Wynton Marsalis entitled "Tooting His Own Horn." A funny coincidence that is probably lost on all but the geekiest trumpeters (me).

I think B15 did a good job of explaining being even throughout. To answer your question about mass, of course the third slide will have the most mass, but getting rid of the 3rd slide stop makes the difference a little less. Could I tell the difference in a blind test? Probably not. But when you take a lot of small things like that, they add up into things that really do make a difference.

As far as Bob Malone goes, well, he just doesn't know what he's doing. I mean, who puts third slide stops on their horns when they should obviously be using string!?!?!?
    JUST KIDDING
    There's a good reason why those three guys (and many more top shelf musicians) use Malone products; because they're great instruments. But when I play them, I find myself working harder to get the sound I want. So I play something that I feel more comfortable with. Easy choice.

And while we're talking about Mark Gould (were we?) I was just talking to a friend of mine who studies with him about how ironic my feelings about his music are. I think he is one of my favorite musicians out there. His CD "Cafe 1930" is one of my favorites. The stuff he's doing with his post-modern rap group is also very cool. The irony comes into play because, to my knowledge, he dislikes Monettes and everything about them (I have several first hand anecdotes, but there's a little too much profanity to tell them here). But hey, a good musician is a good musician.

-Jimi

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    There are things that I notice different between my Bach and my Monette.
    To say can I tell the difference between the stop and not having it; I probably can't but a lot of top players can feel the difference.

The idea is to make the trumpet play the best it possible can. Tweak every last drop of playability out of it. Maybe other top makers decided that it is not worth the trade off and who cares about that little bit.

By the way, I only use the Bach for comparison because that is what I played before the Monette and I happen to have one. I might have the worst Bach on the planet and if I had a good one who knows.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    jmichiel,

I guess you got in there first

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here's a good question,

Why doesn't Bach put a water key on the third slide?

On a lot of the Mt. Vernon's there was no first saddle. Why?

7. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

I disagree with most of what you said. I respect you and your reasoning, I just have different ideas about how things work when playing trumpet.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I take little things I here when I talk to Tom at Monette and try to put it all together so I understand better.

This is an educated guess on my part but I think they make the first slide thicker then the third and the second even more thicker to compensate for the tubing length. There is still a problem with combinations of valves.

I wish a trumpet maker would comment or maybe Manny knows more.
    You have tapped what I know.

9. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Perhaps cost is the factor...but if they put a waterkey on the 3rd then they wouldn't require the added aggravation (and cost) of the secondary 3rd slide "tip". Gotta be another reason.... location of a node coincides with the ideal location of the waterkey hole?