Monette string

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Frau Bluecher??

-cw-

2. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Would you like some more SOUP?

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    "Let me help you with your bags"

-cw-

4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Whose brain did you take ?
    Abby-normal! ROFL

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I've had the pleasure to hear Manny play his Bb "up close and personal" (my hair is still blown straight back! :D ) and had him play my horn also.

He sounds stunning on both, of course, but imagine if you could magically adjust each overtone to blend smoothly into the next with the perfect amount of 'rolloff' in relationship to the center pitch - that's how he sounds on his own horn, with no hint of a struggle anywhere.

Its not a dark sound or a bright sound its an 'everything' sound.

When we did some jazz duets in my lesson Manny had no problem showing that a Monette can 'light it up'. So, I guess people who haven't heard a Monette really can't appreciate how they sound - I didn't until I heard it in person.

Again, Manny sounds incredible on whatever he plays, but I'm beginning to think that playing Monettes has really enabled him to make music more easily than a 'normal' trumpet can.

my 2c,

Greg

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Very good B6 !! I had to look it up.

Yes, I loved it... everytime her name was mentioned the horses would get all wild...

7. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    I never thought of having the third slide stop on my trumpets moved. I just push out with both slides.

I move my left hand like you would move your right if your mouse suddenly got burning hot.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I could be wrong, but I think another reason for no third slide stop on the Monette is that he likes the horn to be balanced, front to back. As in not bell heavy or mouthpiece heavy. It helps with the posture and alignment and all those other things that help us breathe! I could be wrong, but it's logical. Why would he want to compensate for the weight of a stopping thing if he could just use stretchy string. Plus, it's easy to take off and pour out the water. (And both mine collect water like sponges!).

Manny...

I agree with you about the F trumpet idea. A quick story...

A few years ago, a friend of mine was doing a dissertation about music for the low F trumpet. He managed to borrow one (a nice, old Bach "contralto" trumpet, in good condition) and, with the orchestra, recorded various excerpts with his Bach and with the F trumpet. The horn is pretty trecherous (you're way up in the harmonic series most of time), but the sound is surprisingly rich and full of color. Now, I know that this was a 1960's era horn, and not original, but hopefully it's close. My friend listened to me play it and said, "You know, it sounds a little like a Monette." A footnote to this story is that a couple weeks ago, my orchestra conductor asked if I could try to find a low F trumpet to play the third part to Shostakovich 1 (it's aparentlly scored for two Bb, one F). I borrowed the same horn that my friend did and the sound was still rich and colorful, although definately not at Monette-like as the actually Monette I usually use to play the part! I used it in one rehearsal, and although we liked the sound, I don't have a suitable mouthpiece (it needs so be very deep or else the attack really barks) and it really backs up in the low register making it hard to play loud enough, so I went back to the modern horn. But it was an interesting experiment!