Monette Video Tour

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Doc Nelson, May 30, 2008.

1. Doc Nelson

Doc Nelson Pianissimo User

May 7, 2008
    Portland, TX
    For those that have wondered how a trumpet is made, there is a great video tour on Monette.net that walks through even the mouthpiece fabrication. Man, I gotta get one of those.

2. mctrumpet

mctrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    if you get one you wont regret it

3. Doc Nelson

May 7, 2008
    Portland, TX
    To be honest, I don't even know what they cost. It's not a huge issue, but I'm a little curious.

4. mctrumpet

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    non pranas are $225 at dillonmusic.com and pranas are $315 and the cases are $28

5. Doc Nelson

May 7, 2008
    Portland, TX
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's the big difference between Prana and non...other than $100? I'm looking at getting a new mouthpiece, but not sure what would be a good combo for my horn (Cannonball RL). I want to play some jazz and I play a bit downstream although my usual posture is a little below center.

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nice video. I wish some other companies were that detail oriented. Imagine how well those crappy bachs could play :D

7. mctrumpet

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    from what ive heard about the pranas there really great but not for first time buyers definitely call the shop and talk to them about mouthpiece selection they can help alot and try to find people in your area that use them

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The real question is what is different about a Monette mouthpiece - period. They are brass like every other brand, but Dave uses different geometry than other makers. The backbore is a different shape, the length of the throat and the transition from one part to another.

The standard Monette mouthpieces are designed with a different "intonation" than standard mouthpieces. If you play them the same way as the standard, you will notice that the low notes are a bit flat and the high notes a bit sharp. His take is that with standard mouthpieces, the player must change things in the body, breathing and embouchure to play in tune. Methods like the "pivot", TCE and others actually confirm this stand.

Using the Monette mouthpiece FORCES you to relax more (compensate less) in the upper register. That for many players results in increased range and endurance - or for those that don't let go of old habits, total frustration. That is why they are not for everybody. The time needed to adjust can be anywhere from a day or two to a couple of months. This is not a concept for a music store try out (actually no other mouthpiece or trumpet test should be either).

The Prana series is even more radical in the way they let the player tune and place notes. I would not recommend this series to be the first Monette piece ever - unless you are big on Yoga, martial arts or some other "mind over matter" hobby. It is surprising how much creeps into our playing (Monette or not) and how that affects everything else about what we need to do when playing.

I am really sold on Monette, but see why it is not the answer for some other players! You really have to want to work in that direction. If the sound and concept turn you on, they can be a BIG help in your development. If not, there are many other roads to success. I am happy that we have the choice!

9. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

'..unless you are big on Yoga..'

This of concern in proper breathing Robin? Moreso diligence? We looking at a relative needed time-adjustment by comparison of mouthpieces for first time Prana users?

-

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No Chris,
    it's more like being in tune with your body. Everything that we do has some effect on the rest of our well-being. Yoga is one way to help us learn how to do things that are good for us bodily and spiritually. We can focus in on body use and tension, find their sources and eliminate or at least reduce them. We can learn to deal with nervousness.

This is not only great for our playing, but also for us as a whole. It is not the only answer, but a very good one!