Monette VS cheap chinese mp

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by gigigal, May 15, 2018.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    :-D

2. gigigal

gigigal Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2012
    ITALY
    Right!

Bogus?
    Playback playing is bogus... :-D

3. gigigal

gigigal Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2012
    ITALY
    By the way thanks Robin, your comment is very appreciate.....in particular because you just tried 3 mp in your life. :-)

I have never switched embouchures, changed mouthpieces three times in my life: 1971, 1974 and 1998. They were all comparable (Bach 1 1/4C, Schilke 18, Monette B2).
    I only post when I have first hand experience. I will never offer something that I have not tried to someone else.

Dennis78 likes this.
  4. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Pianissimo User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    Now that we've voiced our opinions, can you tell us what your experience was playing the cheap MP? In tune easily or not, good or bad articulation, range, slotting, endurance, etc etc. It doesn't sound like its as easy to play as the Monette but you have a better perspective from behind the horn.

Dennis78 and J. Jericho like this.
  5. gigigal

gigigal Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2012
    ITALY
    Absolutely yes!
    Well, first of all I can tell that I bought the 3C measure because is the one I personally feel more similar to my Monette Silver 4. When I tried the chinese mp the first time I discovered that it was too big for me, so first bad news.
    By the way it has a rim very comfortable, quite similar to the Monette.
    The Monette is shorter so when I use the chinese to be in tune I have to pull in a bit the main tuning slide.
    Articulation is good, tone is very open and reach in low register, but I found it a bit close and difficult in the high register, probably because of the deep cup.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is very simple, we are creatures of habit. For players with strong habits and chops, the ears and brain have strong control of the muscles. The differences in this case are more felt than heard.

In the case of weaker habits and chops, several tests even with the same mouthpiece give us various results because our playing is not stable or controlled enough. A couple of recordings show that we can’t even play the same lick 10 times so they sound the same.

Moving a microphone in the near field even a couple of inches also skews what is recorded.

It does not matter if we are comparing a Bach 3C to a 1C, a Schilke 14A4A to a Bach 10 1/2C or a Monette something to a cheap chinese other thing. The test is bogus when we have too many parameters that prevent a consistent result.

In the case of a Monette mouthpiece, the intonation is different. This means that if we are used to a mouthpiece, we bend the pitch on the other and change the tone. Acclimation to a mouthpiece means that our whole body gets involved. We find the resonant center. The test is “less bogus”.

My point is that your test does not show anything significant except your level of playing. It also supports my “opinion” that no comparison makes sense unless we know what and how to compare. This is not an Ad Hoc process.

7. gigigal

gigigal Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2012
    ITALY
    Your absloutely true, but why we cannot think that my test is a "preliminary test" for saying:

"Ok, this economic mp is crap"
    or
    "Ok, this economic mp is not that bad for its price"

?

I bought this chinese mp just for curiosity and I recorded a video just for showing that, in my opinion, it is not that bad for its price. Maybe if I play that mp for one year probably I take cancer because it has been made with radioactive metal, but, at a first glance I would say that it is not that crap.

Dennis78 likes this.
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Simply because your test does not show if the cheap mouthpiece is crap or good. If you played the cheap mouthpiece exclusively for 4 weeks in a variety of rooms, with groups and alone, then you would have something to compare. There are some amazing cheap mouthpieces.

9. gigigal

gigigal Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2012
    ITALY
    Lol!
    You are a real German!

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    As far as I know Rowuk is an American who lives in Germany, so save your joy.